F8F-1 Bearcat wreck off Pt Loma, California (follow-up)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

beldridg

Airman
May 3, 2022
After my last post (F8F-1 Bearcat found in Point Loma (San Diego, CA)), I thought I would give a quick follow-up since some interesting activity has taken place.

I did make another dive on the Bearcat in late 2022. I wanted to get more pictures to build a more accurate photogrammetry model of the wreck. There is a prestigious underwater photo contest (Underwater Photographer of the Year) that I wanted to submit screen captures of a model. I am very honored that I won the contest in the Wrecks category.

I thought people on this forum would enjoy seeing the model that I created. I am biased, but I think that it is very good. It is at:

Information on the UPY contest is at:

We are still finding and documenting new airplane wrecks off Southern California. You can signup to receive updates as I post them at: Wrecked in my rEvo.

I've also attached a low res screen capture of the photo that won the award below.

Regards,

- brett

man thats cool as is your page, i notice the I1 sub is that the very same one off Guadalcanal that the New zealand Navy mine sweeper rammed and sunk ??

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it is is the I-1 Submarine that the Kiwi rammed. I have a bunch of the history on my site at:

They got some critical cipher information from the I-1 during that event.

- brett

I'm reminded of the scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
I think we used a little too much dynamite.

Yeah. If you like that story, maybe check out the story of the PC-815 which has a crazy history:

- brett

Users who are viewing this thread