Fake Military Veteran

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What a fanny and bawsack!

bur2.gif

This is a repulsive individual to me. I served during the Viet Nam War. I was never in-country (SEA) and refuse to be grouped in with veterans who were. Many of my fellow veterans who never were in-country are quick to promote themselves an Viet Nam Era veterans, which they are officially classed as, but I don't even acknowledge that distant association. I was Stateside the entire time with the exception of a short temporary duty in the general vicinity at the close of hostilities. I think the article's Doug Sterner has got it right about these posers and there should be a price put on their heads. Sorry, this kind of crap doesn't put me in a good mood.

I have only actually met one turkey like this, in a bar in San Diego in 1967. I had just come back from 11 friggin'
months in country. This loudmouth was spouting off about where he'd been and what he saw. The way he was
mis-pronouncing names was a dead give-away that he had not been there..... that he had read the newspaper.

In the Vietnam language an "H" is pronounced as a "wh" . The town of Ben Hoa is pronounce "Ben Wha". I'm not big
enough or mean enough to tangle horns with this type of person, but I sure can tell them what I think. The same
goes for the ba$tards who wear ribbons and medals they didn't earn. But that's a topic for another thread.

Charles

Isn't the guy a head case? I mean outside of the obvious bs aspect of it, wasn't he a guy with mental problems?
Thing is Tim
these people always fall back on the oh-I've-got/had-mental-problems-I-didn't-mean-anything-by-it; someone in the article actually mentions it

Often... they who talk the most have done the least.

If you've been in the sh!t you don't want to talk about it... some may share experiences but they generally dont grandstand

Last edited:
I hear ya' Colin and I agree with ya', people do use that as a get out of jail card. But this dude actually spent time in shelters and has a history of being crazy. Not saying it gives him a hall pass, but it is something to factor in.

People that annoy me are the guys who claim they have a decoration or have been in the military, are not crazy or have mental problems and do it just for the official attaboy they get. I was thinking specifically of the Judge out in the Midwest who claimed to have had the MOH and hadn't even been in the military. Also, politicos who claim it. Those guy annoy me. Not from the military aspect of it, more from the scheeming aspect. Weasels.

i work in a mental health hospital, we had a guy come in sent from his family Dr. He had her convinced he was suffering from PTSD (post tramatic stress disorder). she was ordering him all kinds of benzodiazapines, morphine for his bad knees, he had women coming in that he had met in bars that where feeling sorry fo him. He wasn't here with us more than 5 minutes and I had picked apart his story. He had regiments all wrong, said he was a sniper in an area where Canada didn't use snipers...

He came in wearing glasses, saying he had a complete medical discharge, but had the date he was discharged before the time he suppoded to have served.

Last I heard he was being investigated by the police for obtaining care for under false pretenses.

...I was thinking specifically of the Judge out in the Midwest who claimed to have had the MOH and hadn't even been in the military...
That's a different level of weird
someone who already had a high level of respectability in his own profession pretending he had the same in someone else's. The kind of profile I'd normally associate with this type of behaviour is low self-esteem - you wouldn't really expect that from a judge.

If you've been in the sh!t you don't want to talk about it... some may share experiences but they generally dont grandstand

100% right Most guys that have been you wouldn't even know they have until you read their obit

About ten years ago I met a guy at friend's party. He was telling everyone that he was a former Syrian AF fighter pilot. A really good one, too. He'd shot down two Israeli F-15's...

JL

Hey now! That is impressive! The only two F15s that were never shot down and he got them. BOTH!

That must be one really tough sim.:lol:

In the circle of vets I've known from WWII and Korea none of them ever spoke directly about their respective combat engagements but rather generally and in a humorous tone poking fun at each other's misadventures related to specific engagements. They were a proud bunch but pretty reserved. I knew them because my Pop was one of them and there were reunions over the years. There were a couple light-hearted debates about the details of specific engagements. More to the point, my Pop never discussed his periods of combat and he never spoke of them at the reunions I was present at. He never even told my Mom. When he passed away I received some conciliatory calls from his comrades-in-arms citing his prowess as a fellow combatant and general good guy. So, basically, I know nothing about that period in his life aside from a vague story residing in the photographs, flight logbooks, military orders and citations he left behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back