Favorite fighter/interceptor?

Which Fighter/Interceptor is Your Favorite???

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow, i completly overlooked the G.55. It was an excellent aircraft, with three 20mm cannon, and two machine guns, it had one hell of a punch. With a speed of 385 MPH at over 23,000ft, it was more than fast enough to catch the bombers being used, and hold its own against american and british fighters, being not much slower, having good dive and climb, ammunition stowage, and manouverability at all altitudes above 15,000ft especially.

It surprises me not one person voted for the N1K2-J shiden kai. It was a great aircraft, but being from the PTO, and japanese, i shouldnt be surprised it received no votes. It was manouverable, had a good top speed at altitude, and a good armament, even stronger than that of the G.55. Because of some teething troubles, and bombings of factories where it was produced, it wasnt produced in good enough numbers to have any real effect, but gave a good account of itself.

It has nothing to do with the fact that it was Japanese. I am sorry but the N1K2 was not better than the Fw-190D. And besides you not ask people what there favorite fighter is and only give them 2 choices. There are plenty that like the Spit, P-51, or Bf-109 better than both of those.

Are you trying to prove something here?

Glider said:
Going against the rub of things I would go for the Fiat G55. Good speed not the fastest I will admit, but it accelerated quickly a factor often missed. As with most Italian planes it was very agile and I would be happy to take on any of the P51, P38, FW190, F4U and Spitfire mentioned above in a fight. For the bombers it was well armed carrying lots of ammunition.
That would do me.

I agree. You think logically Glider... :thumbleft:

cheddar cheese said:
And it was around in mid-43...if you compare it to what else was around at the time you realise it was a fairly remarkable aircraft...

A G.55 compares reasonably to a Spitfire IX with a Merlin 61 or a 109G-6 with a DB605AM. It still loses out in terms of climb and speed against these two. Still, given that the Italians seemed to have a knack for getting very good handeling and high manoeuverability out of their designs, it would of been a handful in a dogfight.

If I wanted an interceptor, I would go for either the Bf-109K4, Spitfire XIV, Yak 9U or F4U-4. All these planes climb like a lift to 20,000 feet. An interceptor is no use to anyone if its still climbing to get into position when the bombers are already over the target. Over about 30,000 the Spitfire would be the favourite, if only because the Griffon 65 doesn't hit critical altitude in 2nd stage until somewhere around 26,500 feet.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
For Intercepter I would go with either the Ta-152H, Fw-190D or the Spit XIV.

The P-38L-5 and F4U-4 start off with 5min/20,000', great maneuverability, top speeds over 440mph, and the ability to mix it with any of them. The closeness of them is why I like to list them together.

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
For Intercepter I would go with either the Ta-152H, Fw-190D or the Spit XIV.

The P-38L-5 and F4U-4 start off with 5min/20,000', great maneuverability, top speeds over 440mph, and the ability to mix it with any of them. The closeness of them is why I like to list them together.

wmaxt

Those 2 were great aircraft also, I will give you that.

As I said before the Bf-109G-6 is my favorite aircraft of WW2 period but when it comes to the best catagory I go with the Fw-190D and the Ta-152.

Ta-152 is too optimised for high altitude operations. Part of the problem with these polls of just picking a airframe is not specifying the mission parameters. Therefore, I would have to adopt a more loose choice that allows for flexibility.

And that leaves one to pick the P-51D or P-38L. :)

not actually since it's operations nearly constituted almost all mid to low altitude range with the Soviets and RAF. Only 1-2 missions against the P-51 from what I can find and I am unclear at what altitude on those ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back