favorite gunner position in a b 17

favorite b 17 position what would you want to be in the most?

• Ball

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Waist

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Tail

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Nose

Votes: 3 10.3%

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You'd have a outstanding view from the ball turret, but i'll bet nobody picks it.

In the spirit of the thread....

Hard choice. Ummm...waist gunner?
Maybe I wouldn't feel as trapped as other positions.
_BEL9904 B-17G N93012 Nine-O-Nine interior waist gunners compartment l.jpg

A lot of ammo !!

I read that the ball turret was the "safest" place to be and being a short-a$$, that's where they would stuff me. Back to work.......

Geo

yes me doing this early in the morning I was an idiot and forgot that. If you say that as your choice just comment it! But come on who hasn't had one of those mornings?
I would pick top turret. Nice view and that's where my dad was in 24's

I've got 8th AF stats on accuracy and if I recall correctly, the tail position was most accurate. This same analysis also has percentages of likelihood of survival for each position. I wanna say that ball turret had least risk of not returning injured/alive.

How likely was it for a ball turret gunner to be able the get out of that turret, put on his parachute, and survive, when a B-17 was shot down ?

Let's think of the disadvantages of some of the positions.
Ball turret- couldn't be very comfortable, and unlikely you'll be able to abandone aircraft very quickly.
Waist gun- drafty as heck, think of frostbite.
Nose guns- exposed, plexiglas in front of you isn't going to stop much.
Tailgun- all by your lonesome back there, and also one of the Luftwaffe's favorite target.
Top gunner- can't think of anything yet, but there's gotta be something bad about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back