Favorite Sub-machine gun

Favorite Sub machine gun

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder where they got the Idea for this weapon.

Attachments

• m41_pulse_rifle_184.jpg
    m41_pulse_rifle_184.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 330
  • oicw_807.jpg
    oicw_807.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 327
102first_hussars said:
if it was made in britain the chances of me finding here are very slim,

we get mostly America entertainment here.

Strangely on Canadian Amazon all shipments are from the US, whereas the UK Amazon's are all from Canada. :confused:

PlanD said:
I found out that the majority of my chemistry class didn't even know how a gun worked

Not everbody's into guns.

P38 said:
The only gun that uses a spring is a freaking BB gun.

Most, if not all guns use a spring, the Sten's is the most obvious I've seen.

[quote-"102first_hussars"]I wonder where they got the Idea for this weapon. [/quote]

oicw_807.jpg

EM2?

em2.jpg

(http://world.guns.ru)

P38 Pilot said:
What?? They were a bunch of retards if they dont know know how a gun works! The only gun that uses a spring is a freaking BB gun.

And the Gat(spud gun) and air weapons (although I assume P38 you class all air weapons as BB where in the UK BB fires little metal balls and air rifles fire waisted pellets or you used to be able to get plastic sheathed sabots, and of course the Sten (for the bolt) and several other shock operated weapons as opposed to gas, but as a projectile force theirs not many.
The atmosphere weapons although still using compressed gas either air in a reservoir or a Co2 cartridge are in somewhat different league hence the need for a fire arms licence.

The M-16 and AK-47 use springs ...if you're seriously refering to how the gun fires - you'll never be taken seriously ...ever again.

And even before I was into guns, I knew how they worked. Because it's pretty obvious what is happening inside when there's a big flash and a big bang ...it's obviously not a spring - it's a freakin' explosion!

It's the same that a lot of people don't know how a jet engine works ...

The intellectual elite seem to moving further and further away from the general public these days - it's a shame I'm part of the general public. :rolleyes:

It's like when I told a friend that humans can now make their own blood (which we can) ...he was like, "So?" - I could tell him humans could cure every disease on the planet and he wouldn't be impressed. Problem is ...he's not stupid compared to most of them around here!

schwarzpanzer said:
102first_hussars said:
if it was made in britain the chances of me finding here are very slim,

we get mostly America entertainment here.

Strangely on Canadian Amazon all shipments are from the US, whereas the UK Amazon's are all from Canada. :confused:

PlanD said:
I found out that the majority of my chemistry class didn't even know how a gun worked

Not everbody's into guns.

P38 said:
The only gun that uses a spring is a freaking BB gun.

Most, if not all guns use a spring, the Sten's is the most obvious I've seen.

[quote-"102first_hussars"]I wonder where they got the Idea for this weapon.

oicw_807.jpg

EM2?

em2.jpg

(http://world.guns.ru)[/quote]

No I figured they got the Idea from the weapon they used in the movie Aliens.
Whats the EM2?

The EM-2 is the Enfield Experimental Model 2, .280 Bullpup Automatic Rifle.

At the end of WW2 the British realised that a) bolt action and semi auto rifles were obsolete and, b) sub-machine guns were inadequate for anything apart from short range combat.

So the went and built a gun that was shorter than the SMLE No 4, had a selective rate of fire and fired a very powerful .280 (7x43mm) round, which was much better than that fired by the Sten gun. Unfortunately, even though it was officially adopted at some point in the 50s (1952???) as the "R,A .280 No 9 mk 1" (Rifle, Automatic, calibre .280, Number 9 mark 1) it never saw service because the UK thought that interoperability with the new NATO standard 7.62x51mm round was more important. Eventually, the went for the L1 (FN FAL), which was an excellent weapon, but probably not as versatile as the EM-2.

P38 Pilot said:
Cartmann kicks ass! Awesome sig 102hussar!

Hmmmm, hows that education system in Alabama going there P-38... Not too many retards huh???
Nope. The only retards i see are those born that way.

Hmm Reminds me of Ontario, I was 1 out of a handfull of kids in the school that knew how to read, I think I was about 14.

Jabberwocky said:
The EM-2 is the Enfield Experimental Model 2, .280 Bullpup Automatic Rifle.

At the end of WW2 the British realised that a) bolt action and semi auto rifles were obsolete and, b) sub-machine guns were inadequate for anything apart from short range combat.

So the went and built a gun that was shorter than the SMLE No 4, had a selective rate of fire and fired a very powerful .280 (7x43mm) round, which was much better than that fired by the Sten gun. Unfortunately, even though it was officially adopted at some point in the 50s (1952???) as the "R,A .280 No 9 mk 1" (Rifle, Automatic, calibre .280, Number 9 mark 1) it never saw service because the UK thought that interoperability with the new NATO standard 7.62x51mm round was more important. Eventually, the went for the L1 (FN FAL), which was an excellent weapon, but probably not as versatile as the EM-2.

I looked up the the Em2 and I do see a slight resemblance, what made me figure the fictional weapon on Aliens was the fact that it was integrated with mag loaded, pump-action grenade launcher.

Did you know that the the Pulse Rifle on Aliens, was simply a Thompson with a Spaz shotgun attached to the bottom with some other custom made parts?

Attachments

• m41a_159.gif
    m41a_159.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 247
Riddley Scott wasn't the first to use WWII or WWI weapons as the base for sci-fi weapons.

The Stormtrooper Rifle in Star Wars was based on the Sten gun. The Heavy Rifle was based on the British Lewis Gun. Han Solo's blaster was based on the C96 Broomhandle Mauser.

Almost the entire Death Star escape and later Death Star attack scenes are based of WWII guncam and documentary footage.

George Lucas had access to hundreds of hours of unedited guncam footage from Flim Storage depositories around Southern California. When ILM needed a referance for how to make the spaceships move and what camera angles to film them at, he edited a whole bunch of it together and sent it off to them. Many of the scens in Star Wars are actually exactly the same, frame by frame, as actual dogfight footage from WWII.

Jabberwocky said:
Riddley Scott wasn't the first to use WWII or WWI weapons as the base for sci-fi weapons.

The Stormtrooper Rifle in Star Wars was based on the Sten gun. The Heavy Rifle was based on the British Lewis Gun. Han Solo's blaster was based on the C96 Broomhandle Mauser.

Almost the entire Death Star escape and later Death Star attack scenes are based of WWII guncam and documentary footage.

George Lucas had access to hundreds of hours of unedited guncam footage from Flim Storage depositories around Southern California. When ILM needed a referance for how to make the spaceships move and what camera angles to film them at, he edited a whole bunch of it together and sent it off to them. Many of the scens in Star Wars are actually exactly the same, frame by frame, as actual dogfight footage from WWII.

Whatever holy crap Im just expected to know this?

That's because they were Sterlings, with a few extras added to them. Scopes, raised cooling slats, stuff like that. The Rebel rifles in The Empire Strikes Back were heavily modified Stg-44's.

PlanD:

The M-16 and AK-47 use springs ...if you're seriously refering to how the gun fires - you'll never be taken seriously ...ever again.

What causes the bolt to fly forwards after the second shot then?

And what about the PIAT gun?

It's the same that a lot of people don't know how a jet engine works ...

I've been into mechanics before I could walk (seriously) but obviously most people see me as a freak.

The intellectual elite seem to moving further and further away from the general public these days - it's a shame I'm part of the general public.

I hate to say this, but you're pretty knowledgeable.

I think intelligence is not knowing things, rather being able to figure things out IMHO.

It's like when I told a friend that humans can now make their own blood (which we can)

Well if we didn't, we'd be dead within a day, unless you meant artificially?

Problem is ...he's not stupid compared to most of them around here!

Yeah, tell me about it. It's not a sweet ignorance either.

I think it's the 'I'm right' close-mindedness that does it. Then again, you and me do that sometimes - but at least we research, listen, admit when we're wrong etc.

Sorry 102 Hussars,

I attempted (unsuccessfully) to insert a pic on that post:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/em2.jpg

With 'Alien' The flamethrower is part M16 and was used in the Video game 'Resident Evil'. Anyone got any more info on it? M240 I believe, could it even be an actual weapon?

Jabberwocky:

The EM2 had 2 calibres, one resembled the 7.62 .308 Win NATO, the other the 5.56 NATO.

it never saw service because the UK thought that interoperability with the new NATO standard 7.62x51mm round was more important.

Not strictly true, USA led NATO at the time, it wanted 7.62mm and threw it's toys out of the pram. :evil:

NS said:
The Rebel rifles in The Empire Strikes Back were heavily modified Stg-44's.

Thought I'd seen StG44's somewhere, yes they were Sterlings also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back