Favrortie and cutest female youtuber ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Blame the Normans. They imported all those superfluous vowels from France.

Exactly...and that terribly well-informed Mr. Webster decided that America needed its own language, and so promptly amended the spelling of "English" words, completely missing the fact that most of the "superfluous" vowels originate from French...and, of course, France was the greatest ally of the rebellious Yankees in the First American Civil War (sorry....the American Revolution).

The irony is breathtaking!

Thanks to God that you don't speak Arabic!

Because changing an "a" with an "e" could entirely change the meaning of words.

Bad that you don't speak Persian!!!

Because we don't care about "vowels".

For the edification of those not keeping in touch with the education, or lack of it, in the U.S. Many cities participate in promotion based on time served, hence a completely new version of English.

Actually passed and caught in bank deposit.

Speaking as an Englishman born and bred I often weep at the ba*tardisation of the Beautiful English language.

Last edited:
Speaking as an Englishman born and bred I often weep at the ba*tarisation of the Beautiful English language.
I've eased up on my feelings, so I no longer feel anyone who uses "irregardless," "nucular," or "ath-a-lete" should be shot. I still, however, feel using the phrase "at this point of time" or the word "transpire" instead of "happen" or "occur" should be felonies.

I also want anybody who uses the phrase "it's only a theory" when trying to denigrate a widely accepted scientific theory, backed by decades of evidence, be imprisoned.

-------------

Languages change. A lot of modern complaints about English, such as antipathy to split infinitives and dangling participles were made up in the late 19th Century because people though English should be more like Latin (you can't split infinitives in Latin). Use of "they" as an ungendered, third-person pronoun dates back centuries.

Also, English has been bastardized since the French conquest in 1066.

Shortly after beginning my career, my supervisor was looking for a word in the dictionary to use in a letter to the regional manager. He suddenly cursed and threw the book at the wall and asked the secretaries how to spell "irregardless". They wisely chorused, " I don't know" avoiding his temper. He then turned to me as I was the only one in our department with any college time and asked, "Does irregardless have one or two Rs?" Since it was obvious he couldn't find it spelled properly, I said, " I've always seen it spelled with two Rs." Crisis averted.

Users who are viewing this thread