Favrortie and cutest female youtuber ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If I may offer a funny episode which happened many decades ago. Three Canadian Kodak employees were scheduled for an equipment class in Chicago. The class was canceled but the Canadians were sent on to Atlanta for the class. This was May of 1967 and they couldn't believe the warm spring time weather. When one of our classmates from Jacksonville, Florida, told them people were already Swimming in the ocean, they were determined to go. They needed one other to go to share expenses and I was the only one goofy enough to go. At the time in Atlanta, there was a large car dealer who had many lots selling new cars as well as one where "any car on the lot was $100". We, Gerry from Saskatchewan, John from Toronto, Jacque from Quebec and I bought a 1956 Chrysler New Yorker 2 door hard top and went to Jacksonville for the weekend. I use their real names because I may have out lived them as I have Kodak. While driving down John was impressed with all the places selling guns. This was before the 1968 Gun control law so any gas station or bait shop sold guns. On the way back, John had to buy a gun although he would have a problem at the Canadian border. He bought a .22 miniature of a Rossi coach gun, a little top break with side hammers for $20. He had to stop further along the road to fire it into the woods. Back in the Atlanta motel, Gerry and and John had crashed out while Jacque and I couldn't get them up or get the car keys. I suggested to Jacque we pull a trick and I showed him how I pulled the bullets and emptied the powder from two cartridges and pushed the open ends in a bar of soap. The plan was to start an argument between us over the TV program and leave it on a western shootem up to cover the noise. The two of us knew this would work because the four of us had gotten along so well. Jacque wanted to be the "victim" so we took the covers and a few pages from the phone book and put them under his shirt front. As the "argument" progressed and the sleepers woke up I shot Jacque in the chest with soap. A super actor, he twisted, fell on the bed, rolled onto the floor face down and twiched realistically enough (he was laughing) he scared me too. At this point Gerry is about to call an ambulance when John says, "What are we going to do with the body?"

Californians use the preparatory "so". Ask them a question, and the first word of the answer is very often "So, [...]".

Also, they talk fast, at least in SoCal.
I'm from Southern California (Orange County native) and that's news to me.

The one linguistic stand-out, is "Surfer Speak", but that's a sub-culture and not wide-spread. They'll typically start a sentence with the word "like" and it may pop up again during the course of the conversation.
Example: "Like, the waves are totally pounding, bro. We need to, like, get out and carve a few!"
An appropiate response would be:
"Dude, I know, right?"

:thumbleft:

I'm from Southern California (Orange County native) and that's news to me.

The one linguistic stand-out, is "Surfer Speak", but that's a sub-culture and not wide-spread. They'll typically start a sentence with the word "like" and it may pop up again during the course of the conversation.
Example: "Like, the waves are totally pounding, bro. We need to, like, get out and carve a few!"
An appropiate response would be:
"Dude, I know, right?"

:thumbleft:

The "so" thing drove me up the wall in 805. "So" is a synonym for "therefore", or "hence".

The surfer speak had faded out by the early 2000s in Vta County, in favor of gangsta speak.

805? Oh now that's different.

That's the Ventura area (I mentioned earlier), they have always had their own language.

That's the land of the infamous "Valley Girls" of the 80's and 90's - those of us in true SoCal had nothing to do with them.

Yeah, when Frank Zappa hit the charts with it, I was actually living in CenCal, and Valley-speak had its heyday there too, but Tarzana and SFV were ground-zero for that abomination. It hung on in Vta County 'til around 86 or so.

Anything south of SB was true SoCal to us, but whatever.

Yeah, when Frank Zappa hit the charts with it, I was actually living in CenCal, and Valley-speak had its heyday there too, but Tarzana and SFV were ground=zero for that abomination. It hung on in Vta County 'til around 86 or so.

Anything south of SB was true SoCal to us, but whatever.
I escaped the madness and moved 550 north of Anaheim, straight up the 5 to Redding, which is true NorCal.

It was bliss for many years (reminded me of the rural Orange County I grew up in) until people from the Bay Area started arriving in hoards - a couple years ago, I ended up moving about 6 miles out of town, away from all that mess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back