Fiat Cr 32 from Silver Wings kit (1:32)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi everybody!
After several months, eventually some milder weather has arrived here in Milan, so this made possible for me to stay on the terrace of my flat and dedicate enough time to the painting of this bird.

First of all, I must say that I wasn't the only one to enjoy the sun.
DSCN1950.JPG

Here some more pictures

DSCN1951.JPG
DSCN1952.JPG
DSCN1954.JPG
DSCN1955.JPG

Wheels you see are temporary, just to support the model.
The white disks on the fuselage are to act as background for the "Red Devil" insignia that I made myself, as I didn't liked the one supplied in the decal sheet.
decals Cr 32 d.jpg

Of course, as my printer doesn't print white, I needed that back ground.

Next steps will be to paint last little details, coat everything with future to attach decals, add some small item, assembly the upper wing on the fuselage and, finally, the inter-struct wiring ...
It sounds that I still have some challenges waiting for me !

Cheers
Alberto

This would be a show stopper at a contest Al looking really nice on the work and paint.I looked at this kit a couple years back seems for us stateside the price was abit much to my liking but have heard they were nice kits as you have so well demonstrated.:thumbright:

Hi, some more shots, after I added a few more details including wheels with covers and the two gun-sights.

DSCN1977.JPG
DSCN1978 dettaglio.jpg
DSCN1979.JPG
DSCN1980.JPG

Talking about the gun-sights, as you can see from this detail picture

DSCN1978 dettaglio.jpg

one is optical and the other visual.

But there is a nice story that I just learned from an Italian expert.

Former Regia Aeronautica pilot, Corrado Ricci wrote a book on his experience in East Africa, titled Romantica Squdriglia (Romantic Squadron).
On page 8 and 9 he reported that Fiat Cr32s were sea shipped from Naples Italy to East Africa, disassembled and boxed in crates.
When they arrived in Massawa and airmen started reassembly them, they found that optical gun-sights went lost during transportation, so they installed visual gun-sights only.
This mishap wasn't considered to be too bad by Italian pilots, as they considered optical gun-sights useless and dangerous in case of overturning.

So my doubt now is, should I leave this sight, in place because it's nice and take a "poetic licence" or take it off to be historically correct?

You will see from my next photos.

Cheers
Alberto

Beautiful, Alberto. Right or wrong, I think I'd be tempted to leave the 'Aldis'-type gun sight in place. Don't know about this aircraft, but many types from that era, certainly in the RAF, from late WW1 until the advent of the reflector sight, carried both the 'wire' and optical sight, the former as a back-up, or for use when visual conditions were not suitable for the optic sight.

Yes, I have the same temptation but it's contrasting with my objective to make realistic replicas.

In facts, even if I didn't realized that on the beginning, the original picture of the bird
Cr 32 410 8 b.jpg

shows clearly that the Aldis-type gun-sight wasn't there, and now we know why!
Alberto

I understand, and, like yourself, I prefer an accurate representation of an aircraft, more so when there is photographic evidence. In this case, unless there is photo or written evidence to show that the 'Aldis' sight was fitted at a later date, I think I'd remove it.

Hi,
I've been away from home for a few days but now, back in Milan, I did a little push to this model.

So, a couple of steps forward: some exhaust stains and the "Fiat CR 32 Quater" decal (home made)
DSCN1990.JPG
DSCN1993.JPG
DSCN1994.JPG

and a step backwards, but in the correct direction:
DSCN1988.JPG
DSCN1991.JPG

I took away the nice, but historically wrong, Aldis sight.

Next step: rigging!!!

Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back