Finalised GB nominations - GBs 37 to 49 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cool, found a Davidson who is in the accidents reports, USN 1943, ground looped one...........:(
It'll have to be a 1/72nd build tho, space constraints.

Great, my time is also freeing up a little. May try to get into a few more builds. Recently I've been thinking, what if in the future we could do a paper airplane build. I know that its locked up for now. A paper airplane is one that was thought up but never built... only exists on paper. Anyway, great work.

Great, my time is also freeing up a little. May try to get into a few more builds. Recently I've been thinking, what if in the future we could do a paper airplane build. I know that its locked up for now. A paper airplane is one that was thought up but never built... only exists on paper. Anyway, great work.

Would be great to see you join. Keep your suggestion in mind when we open the polls for new suggestions again. If you don't want to wait, you can always do a lone STF build or, if there is general interest, start an unofficial GB.

Hi all, just a couple of questions regarding a couple of the GBs:

May 1st – September 1st 2019 GB 42 WWII Mediterranean Theatre of Operation (incl Greece, Crete & Malta, Africa and Middle East).
1. Would an aeroplane normally based in Germany, but flown to Italy on specific missions be permitted?

November 1st 2019 - March 1st 2020 GB 44 Military A/C 1946 - 1982
2. Would an aeroplane that was taken to the US in 1945, then returned to Germany and restored to flight-worthy status but not actually flown, and modelled in the restored state be permitted? Tenuous, I know, but it's the only thing I can think of that fits in with my planned builds.

Last edited:
Nothing like planning ahead Mainly. Thanks for your interest and hopefully you will participate. My thoughts, which by no means speak for others:

1. I would say yes if you can provide a story about your subject's involvement in this area.
2. Pushing the envelope too far in my opinion. I think the intent was to focus on non-WW2 subjects. That said, I think that aircraft developed during WW2 but used in a post war military role would be acceptable.

Nothing like planning ahead Mainly. Thanks for your interest and hopefully you will participate. My thoughts, which by no means speak for others:

1. I would say yes if you can provide a story about your subject's involvement in this area.
2. Pushing the envelope too far in my opinion. I think the intent was to focus on non-WW2 subjects. That said, I think that aircraft developed during WW2 but used in a post war military role would be acceptable.

I suppose I should clarify why I'm asking. I'm concentrating on aircraft flown by one specific pilot; aircraft which I have been able to find in 1/48th and most of which I have already purchased. The gentleman in question (Hans-Werner Lerche) flew 125 different types, a mixture of Allied and Axis aircraft, as test pilot at Rechlin. Given that I'll have a fairly large collection when I'm done, I don't want to buy extras that don't fit my theme. I'm grasping at straws in order to find a tenuous connection so I can participate in the group builds to push myself to building more.

I can definitely provide anecdotal evidence from an autobiography, with markings pulled from various sites like Luftwaffe Experten Message Board for the plane based at Rechlin that he used for travelling to and from Italy on several occasions. I have one other potential option, but I would need to find Italian markings (not masks) for a four-engine bomber. If anyone has suggestions- please let me know!

I think I may have to skip some of the others, though, as I can't find enough commonality to shoehorn my collection in.

Charles Cheesman used to build balsa stick and paper planes for our GB's.
No reason why you can't do paper.......
Paper is not my thing, but GB's are open to any.
I think????????

I think perhaps you don't understand what I mean. I'm not referring to stick and paper. I mean aircraft designs that were thought of but never constructed.. For example. I know that there are tank designs that could have been built,, modifications that were planned but never done either because the war ended or there came a better design. Another example, the He 219 Uhu was a night fighter originally designed with propeller engines but there was a design that had jet engines. Obviously this aircraft with jet engines was never made so it would be known as a paper plane because it only existed on paper.

Maybe after the current series you could provide some nominations for the next round of GBs and if I do them I will try and incorporate them into nominations.

not much help I know, but about all I can suggest at the moment.

Thank you- I will definitely keep that offer in mind!

I agree with Andy.
The first choice, given the additional info, would be acceptable, but pushing it for the second choice.

In response to the approvals, I have found (and purchased) an Italian aeroplane he flew. In order to fit with my collection, I'd have to do her in German markings, as seen at Rechlin. Would this perhaps fit better with the group build, as it is an Italian (so Mediterranean of origin) kite?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the subject aircraft was based at Rechlin, then it wouldn't qualify, as the GB is for aircraft serving in the Mediterranean Theatre of Operations.

I'd like to throw in a though for the next set of GB's. I was thinking of a two plane build, sort of a before and after. For instance many WWII pilots continued their career after the war. Bud Anderson flew P-51's in WWII and F-105's in Vietnam He named is aircraft Old Crow. Robin Olds flew P-38 and P-51's in WWII and flew F-4C and D in Vietnam named Scat. Could be anyone. what they flew to start with and what they flew after, not necessarily they last thing they flew but something they were noted for later in their career. Two planes in each build. Bf 109 and F-104G or P-47 and F-86 or F-100 for Gabreski! just an idea to throw out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back