**** FINISHED: 1/32 Fw 190D-9 - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ahhh... I think I understand. The "cut-out" at the base of the prop blade isn't positioned to allow clearance from the nose cowling if the prop were to be feathered more than it is. The cut-out is there but not positioned quite accurately.

The cut-out should follow the contours of the nose cowling more closely.
pic_37.jpg

As opposed to this restored Dora, which seems to have prop blades from a Ju-88 (I recognize the shape from my Ju88G-6 build!). Without the cut-outs, no possible feathering of the prop is possible.
Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D-9-Walk-Around.jpg

fw190d9-header.jpg

Thank you for pointing this out! It's cool to learn something new!

Thanks guys! Motivation for what? The riveting? Wasn't too bad once I got the hang of the rivet tool. So much to learn. Next technique to try... oil filtering.

Yes, the Air Force's D-9 has a Ju88 VS11 prop from their extensive Ju88 spares collection. Note the prop pitch on their D-9 is less than the Ju88's low pitch setting (the tips are actually Beta) just to get a reasonable amount of clearance. Someone needs to sponsor this airplane so the Air Force can have someone (Hoffmann ?) make some VS111 blades for it. It's amazing how many people think those are real 190 blades.

PS It's an interesting feature peculiar (I believe) to the Luftwaffe that ALL combat aircraft propellers were fully featherable, not just the ones on multi-engine aircraft. Of course, it's a lot easier when they're electric ...

PPS ... and, like most museum aircraft, the struts are flat! That really winds my rubber bands! Why can't museums put spacers in the struts? Really, I ask you, is that too much?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back