**** DONE: 1/32 Fw 190D-9 - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! After the wash, the model was given a flat coat. The tissue paper that was stuffed into the wheel wells can be removed now.
IMG_1531_zpscjep929r.jpg

The landing gear is a nice fit... tight and positive connection. You can see some of the chipping I've done with a colored pencil.
IMG_1533_zpsmuqcktw0.jpg

The landing gear legs and retracting arms plus the wing cannon barrels are added.
IMG_1534_zpsxrahxu3s.jpg

IMG_1535_zpswb4iia9h.jpg

The centerline rack is added.
IMG_1538_zps0ip1xjgo.jpg

The drop tank is mounted on the rack.
IMG_1539_zpsrkbskjnr.jpg

The flaps are put into position. The default angle on the open flaps is really severe... almost 90 degrees so the mounting tabs were gently bent.
IMG_1540_zpstpnybcbs.jpg

The main wheels and tail wheel are glued into place. Before the glue sets, I have to make sure that the flat spots are making ground contact.
IMG_1544_zpsp1yj2osr.jpg

IMG_1545_zpsvd9e2ysc.jpg

IMG_1546_zpshflckfoo.jpg

The exhaust stubs are put into place.
IMG_1549_zpsjy4tusik.jpg

IMG_1551_zpsjtjmhbjn.jpg

Here's a view of the starboard side. I've added some chipping with the colored pencil.
IMG_1552_zpsv4mzwj9a.jpg

Ack... busted off one of the landing gear legs while futzing with the sit angle. Snapped clean off at the base. Thank goodness for the extension cuz the finish will be delayed while I find a fix.

That's exactly what I had to do. Here is the damage...
IMG_1586_zps2iqbgnqc.jpg

I figured a butt join would not be strong enough especially given the forward rake of the gear legs. So I used a piece of brass tube as a mounting pin and drilled accepting holes in the gear leg and in the wheel well.
IMG_1587_zpsy190mfll.jpg

The joint was secured with CA glue and set aside for a few hours just to make sure the glue was set.
IMG_1588_zpsyrgvl84t.jpg

When it felt sturdy enough, I put the wheel and the landing gear cover back on. Hopefully, that will hold!
IMG_1589_zpsycu6z91z.jpg

This one is almost finished. The miscellaneous bits (antennae and pitot tube) will be easily added. The only "major" step to complete is the aerial.

Thanks guys! I'm putting the finishing touches on the Dora. A tension spring is made by tightly coiling thin electrical wire around the smallest drill bit that I have. I touch it with a tiny bit of CA glue to keep it intact during handling and then I carefully attach it to the small hole I've drilled in the mast on the rudder.
IMG_1594_zps9kzq4vzn.jpg

I've made a couple of resistors from pieces of brass tube and have painted these light grey. The aerial itself is 2lb monofilament fishing line. I've sprayed the line a brownish color to match the reference call out of a bronze-colored aerial line.
IMG_1595_zps1jbd2mzf.jpg

Here is the aerial line after it has been attached.
IMG_1597_zpsijaszjwj.jpg

The final steps like sticking on the prop and removing the canopy masks will be done tomorrow and the finished Dora Yellow 11 will be shown in the Finished Thread.

Ok... prop is on, the canopy masks have been removed and the final bits have been added. Yellow 11 is finished! Fairly happy with the outcome but there are some minor things that I'd like to correct when I eventually build the 1/32 Big Tail Dora. While it took a bit of time, I like how the riveting turned out... it adds some visual interest to the model but subtle enough not to be too distracting. It's not that hard to do (besides being time consuming) and I'll definitely be riveting the Big Tail. I'll let you guys chew on the final photo session outtakes while I prepare the official FINISHED post...

JTK_0150_zpsr58yhwdm.jpg

JTK_0152_zpsoiiqhgtc.jpg

JTK_0148_zpsvwgctwup.jpg

JTK_0170_zpsa6mr5kvw.jpg

JTK_0173_zpsotesnrcs.jpg

JTK_0174_zpswbrlwrii.jpg

JTK_0152_zpsoiiqhgtc.jpg

JTK_0178_zpsg9llqsms.jpg

JTK_0160_zps7mqesc3u.jpg

JTK_0185_zpsyekympnn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back