**** DONE: 1/32 Fw 190D-9 - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Painting continues on the Dora. The dark grey areas on the leading edge of the wing are preshaded and painted.
IMG_1432_zpsigihxm5g.jpg

IMG_1434_zpsg7y4ersd.jpg

IMG_1433_zpstvgb8dhn.jpg

The transition between the grey and the NMF area on the bottom of the wing is masked off. After a base coat of black, Alclad Airframe Aluminum is sprayed on. Various panels are painted in Alclad Dark Aluminum for contrast. The post-shading on the grey parts will be toned down a bit.
IMG_1435_zpsgqvahxng.jpg

IMG_1437_zpsfz7wiucn.jpg

The transition between the NMF and the light blue 76 is masked and the upper surfaces are preshaded. First the panel lines.
IMG_1439_zpswy4bcusq.jpg

IMG_1440_zpsv5ttmwwr.jpg

And then the marbled preshading.
IMG_1441_zpsohnvn5m7.jpg

I've decided to put on the fuselage bands now. First a base coat of white is laid down.
IMG_1442_zpsu5zkn4we.jpg

The yellow was mixed with Orange and Yellow to match the decals.
IMG_1443_zpssd8txqez.jpg

IMG_1444_zpslrrnhml3.jpg

The fuselage band is taped off and the overall coat of 76 can now be applied. I am using a very diluted mix of 76, about 4:1 iso alcohol:paint ratio and it takes lots of layers to build up the paint. I essentially go one panel at a time.
IMG_1445_zps67tbdl9y.jpg

The 76 is done.
IMG_1447_zpszzu0zusx.jpg

The masking is removed from the bottom.
IMG_1448_zpsazkokfst.jpg

I'll let this dry. The upper camo comes next.
IMG_1449_zpsggxnqahd.jpg

Thanks gents! Fishing kept me from the workbench for most of the weekend but I manage to spray the upper wings on Sunday evening.

First I tested my camo colors on a piece of spare plastic.From left to right are:

1. Tamiya XF-20 Medium Grey as an initial test for the "Primer Grey" described on the Eagle Cal instructions.
2. My version of Primer Grey using XF-20 lightened with some White.
3. The RLM 83 Dark Green seems to be matched pretty well using Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green straight out of the bottle.
4. My RLM 81 Brown Violet was a real hodgepodge, using Tamiya X-9 Brown as a base and adding various greens and greys.
5. RLM 75 Grey was mixed from Tamiya XF-63 German Grey lightened with White and then adding some Gunze H-49 Violet.
IMG_1464_zpsm6frlnao.jpg

The upper wing and tail surfaces were masked off and then preshaded using my normal routine. The Primer Grey was sprayed on first.
IMG_1465_zps730tdcpt.jpg

IMG_1466_zpsjufzaoqy.jpg

The Dark Green was sprayed freehand, carefully marking the edges of the camo pattern to avoid overspray and then filling in each section.
IMG_1467_zpsq0jrfgws.jpg

IMG_1468_zpsazfkhy8f.jpg

Little spots of overspray were carefully corrected. Referring back to the painting instructions from the Eagle Cal instructions revealed a small oversight on my part. The horizontal tail surfaces are different than the wings being RLM 75/ RLM 83. So I'll have to replace the Primer Grey areas with RLM 75... a bit of hassle since I need to re-mask the tail.
IMG_1469_zpsxhic0xvf.jpg

Good stuff John. If you look at the photos you posted at the start of the thread, you'll see that the "primer grey" on the outer port wing goes all the way to the leading edge.

Thanks guys! I managed to correct the wing and tail camo on my lunch break. It's nice working so close to home! I'll post some pics later tonight.

Have been working on the camo for the past few days. The port wing uppers were corrected per Andy's observation.
IMG_1470_zpsjbgdwdoq.jpg

The primer grey on the horizontal tail surfaces was replaced with RLM 75.
IMG_1471_zps8rucbdzd.jpg

Next, I tackled the mottled RLM 75 on the cowling and the spine of the tail.
IMG_1472_zpssru8vmtl.jpg

IMG_1473_zpss1rby88q.jpg

Must've skipped the photos of each color but RLM 83 was applied, followed by the RLM 81.
IMG_1474_zpseymzm0av.jpg

IMG_1475_zpsxksu8h3s.jpg

A quick photo outdoors just to check the colors.
IMG_1476_zpsvuilioad.jpg

The gun cover cowling was masked off and painted RLM 83. This Dora was one of those late model Luftwaffe aircraft that seemed to be patched together from different machines so some of the demarcation lines between colors were hard.
IMG_1478_zpst2j98l8n.jpg

IMG_1479_zps1vrkidnf.jpg

The rudder was masked off and painted slightly differently than the tail fin.
IMG_1491_zpsselygbzr.jpg

IMG_1492_zpst9bq4k6c.jpg

With the majority of the camo paint finished, I can remove the tail band masking to see how it turned out.
IMG_1494_zpsyxvtairk.jpg

IMG_1495_zps4qblhyxe.jpg

A couple of things that might be addressed before I move on. First, I'm not sure I like how the RLM 81 turned out. I may mix another batch and give that area another go. Shouldn't be too much work since it is constrained to a single area. I may also repaint the rudder with a different style of mottling to mimic the mismatch between rudder and tail fin exhibited by many late war Doras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back