**** FINISHED: 1/48 Bf 109E-4 Von Werra - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Username: JKim
First name: John
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Bf 109E-4 - Profipack Edition
Aftermarket addons: Mostly OOB but the Profipack Edition comes with photoetched parts and canopy masks

Mandatory Views:
JTK_8635_zpseu0katig.jpg

JTK_8641_zps7smtmqyu.jpg

JTK_8644_zpsxfsbbrwh.jpg

JTK_8638_zpsxjeimjla.jpg

JTK_8645_zpsj0kgmndw.jpg

JTK_8640_zpsoxjfzjkv.jpg

Optional Views:
JTK_8665_zpsprhbiogi.jpg

JTK_8658_zps3yuu1lgu.jpg

JTK_8656_zpss7g6nomu.jpg

JTK_8675_zpshhbsllnl.jpg

JTK_8661_zpsphi4uutm.jpg

JTK_8678_zpsw72qob1r.jpg

JTK_8666_zpscygu04wn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments guys! The research thing is easy when you have such knowledgeable people on this site so much thanks to all who provided comments and info!

Still playing around with my final flat coat "settings". This one was shot with a bit more matt than the Spitfire. And I'm still exploring options for a different flat coat since the Alclad stuff is still not curing completely in many cases.

I've just noticed that something is missing - where's Simba, the lion cub ?!

Regarding the matt coat, I've been in the same situation, since the demise of 'proper' Future/Klear, which I used to mix with Tamiya Flat Base to obtain either matt, very matt, semi-matt etc. The current Johnson's Pledge with Klear (UK equivalent to Future) is absolute cr@p, compared to the original, regardless of what might have been published elsewhere in the modelling 'world' - it is definitely different; great as a floor polish, but not suited to modelling use.
I now do it using the FB with with Humbrol Clear, but I'm still getting used to the required ratios. However, Humbrol now have both a satin and matt version of their (gloss) clear, so I think I'll be trying them out. If they're as good as their gloss coat, I'll be very happy !
Might be worth trying some John, especially for early to mid-war Luftwaffe aircraft, which weren't a full matt finish - they had a slight sheen, somewhere between satin and matt, so a mix of both should replicate the finish nicely.

Thanks so much for the positive comments everyone! I'm super impressed with Eduard and the last two kits I've built (109E-4 and the Spitfire IXc)... the fit and especially the surface detailing are EXCELLENT!

I've just noticed that something is missing - where's Simba, the lion cub ?!

Regarding the matt coat, I've been in the same situation, since the demise of 'proper' Future/Klear, which I used to mix with Tamiya Flat Base to obtain either matt, very matt, semi-matt etc. The current Johnson's Pledge with Klear (UK equivalent to Future) is absolute cr@p, compared to the original, regardless of what might have been published elsewhere in the modelling 'world' - it is definitely different; great as a floor polish, but not suited to modelling use.
I now do it using the FB with with Humbrol Clear, but I'm still getting used to the required ratios. However, Humbrol now have both a satin and matt version of their (gloss) clear, so I think I'll be trying them out. If they're as good as their gloss coat, I'll be very happy !
Might be worth trying some John, especially for early to mid-war Luftwaffe aircraft, which weren't a full matt finish - they had a slight sheen, somewhere between satin and matt, so a mix of both should replicate the finish nicely.

Thanks Terry! The problem that I encounter with satin or semi-matt finishes is that it can mess with the scale effect, IMO. That little bit of surface translucency... I don't know how else to explain it... steers me towards a more matt finish. I get most of my paints at my LHS in the US and unfortunately, Humbrol is not stocked there. I am avoiding Tamiya Clears as they come in such small bottles and I'm looking for a more "economical" solution.

I agree about the Tamiya clears John - expensive in the long run, and tend to stay 'sticky' for quite some time.
Why not have a try of the method I described, using 'Future' and Tamiya Flat Base (NOT their clear matt)?
It takes a little experimentation to achieve the desired finish, but then a suitable quantity can be mixed and stored in a clean jar. For Luftwaffe subjects, I mix it so that it's only just semi-matt - not a total 'dusty' flat look, but not much of a sheen either, and it works very well, without spoiling the 'scale effect'.
This is what it looks like on the '110 I did some years back, with just the right amount of slight surface sheen.

Attachments

• 110 Build 259.jpg
    110 Build 259.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 159
Actually Terry... I misspoke about Humbrol at my LHS. They DO have a rack of Humbrol paints and I picked up a bottle of their Matte Cote as well as Gloss Cote to test out. Lovely 110 by the way!

Thanks John, but just check those Humbrol products. They sound like their original clear coats, not the relatively new (acrylic) ones, in the larger 125 ml bottle as shown in my previous post. If they're in the smaller, 'tubby' bottle, then I'd tend not to use them - they're the enamel-type, and not very good, in my opinion.
The bottle should look like this - no 'Clear Coat' in the title.

Attachments

• Humbrol matt clear.jpg
    Humbrol matt clear.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Thank you Vic!

Thanks John, but just check those Humbrol products. They sound like their original clear coats, not the relatively new (acrylic) ones, in the larger 125 ml bottle as shown in my previous post. If they're in the smaller, 'tubby' bottle, then I'd tend not to use them - they're the enamel-type, and not very good, in my opinion.
The bottle should look like this - no 'Clear Coat' in the title.

I think I picked up the older enamel-type clears. I have the receipt so I will return them and look for the newer acrylic ones.

Glad you're able to change them in time.
I was a bit harsh about the 'Clear Coat' type - they're not too bad, but, being enamel, they're rather 'heavy', and, of course, prone to 'yellowing' with age, and not as good, overall, as the more 'modern' finishes we've become used to.
I haven't used the 'new' matt Clear yet, but the gloss is very good, and performs the same as Future, but without the risk of 'waxing' or clouding, as it's a true acrylic varnish, and not a floor polish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back