**** FINISHED: 1/48 Bf 109E-4 Von Werra - Defense of Britain/Atlantic. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you both! I learn a little bit more with each build, thanks to the help on this forum. On this one, I've realized that I need to conduct the weathering in the right order. In the past, I used to rush this stage and start on the pastel wash right after the camo was applied. This can be done but a pastel wash on a fresh matte coat can also lead to some staining. It's better to wait until the decals are applied and a gloss coat is put on before the panel wash.

I picked up some Micromesh for the first time. I haven't explored all of the possibilities of this stuff yet but one interesting use is being able to "sand" a paint coat without removing it... great for fixing tiny imperfections in the paint finish and to also provide a smoother surface for decals when the gloss coat gets "sucked" into a very flat paint.

I hear ya John.

I have some micromesh and its great for smoothing out some rough paint spots without taking off the paint. If I do any weathering now before a gloss coat it will be to put a filter down on the paint to alter the tone or hue. I know some guys do this after a gloss coat but for me I find the gloss coat doesn't allow the filter to penetrate the paint to alter it. My filters are usually an enamel medium over acrylic. Some guys spray it on but i prefer to us a broad brush as I like to insure the brush has very little of the filter on it when I brush it on. The technique as you know is much different than a wash.

Cheers,
Dave

I hear ya John.

I have some micromesh and its great for smoothing out some rough paint spots without taking off the paint. If I do any weathering now before a gloss coat it will be to put a filter down on the paint to alter the tone or hue. I know some guys do this after a gloss coat but for me I find the gloss coat doesn't allow the filter to penetrate the paint to alter it. My filters are usually an enamel medium over acrylic. Some guys spray it on but i prefer to us a broad brush as I like to insure the brush has very little of the filter on it when I brush it on. The technique as you know is much different than a wash.

Cheers,
Dave

That's one technique that I have yet toyed with... filtering. I've seen some impressive results with it but haven't had a chance to try it. Is your technique similar to the one where you put small dabs of different colors onto the painted finish and then randomly brushing theses spots over and into each other, creating a sort of diffuse multi-colored filter?

I know this GB has come and gone but I wanted to address the one glaring thing that was bothering me about this Emil: the aerial. The springs were obviously overscale and the aerial itself was hanging crooked and kind of limp. Just a bit distracting to the overall effect. So I popped it off and re-did it. I fashioned it from stretched sprue and hand-painted it dark brown. I added blobs of white glue which were painted black. I think it improves the appearance of this model considerably.

JTK_9580_zpsqbnprcm9.jpg

JTK_9574_zpstgspgb0s.jpg

JTK_9578_zpsdnm06ehp.jpg

JTK_9575_zpsvpg2092r.jpg

JTK_9567_zpsgtkfkfvt.jpg

JTK_9565_zpsncgtbmrj.jpg

JTK_9569_zpscrnk3uir.jpg

JTK_9568_zpsa7pge3tz.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back