**** FINISHED: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 - Captured / Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48

Manufacturer: Eduard – Polikarpov I-16 Type 29

Extras: Truly OOB, honest with the exception of an exhaust manifolds and some scratch detail

My thanks to you all for your continued support and encouragement during the build. It was a dandy little machine to build and went together very well, all praise to Eduard for that.

Here are the six mandatory pictures.

111203-1A.jpg

111203-2C.jpg

111203-3B.jpg

111203-4A.jpg

111203-5B.jpg

111203-6D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahoy Vic
A HARDY WELL DONE. looks great Vic clean superb build very strikeing, question vic whats the rope line comeing from the undercarriage up through the landing gear wells via through the tyres. Congrats very well done.

Boats

Thanks Boats, much appreciated. The cable from the wheel up through the wheel bay as with the other cables are the landing gear retraction and extension mechanism. These poor Rusky's had to hand crank the wheels up and down by winding a ratchet handle in the cockpit. I believe they had to count the number of turns while doing it so that they knew it was locked either up or down. This aircraft I also believe was the pioneer of retractable undercarriage. Aaah for the good old flying days.
b0225.gif

Thanks Boats, much appreciated. The cable from the wheel up through the wheel bay as with the other cables are the landing gear retraction and extension mechanism. These poor Rusky's had to hand crank the wheels up and down by winding a ratchet handle in the cockpit. I believe they had to count the number of turns while doing it so that they knew it was locked either up or down. This aircraft I also believe was the pioneer of retractable undercarriage. Aaah for the good old flying days.
b0225.gif

Ahoy Vic
Thanks for your reply, well that answers my question, LOLlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll It reminds me of the old Grumman F3F and F4F they had a hand crank on the starboard side of the cockpit that was in red in color, you had to crank it 29 times to get the gear up. with one hand on the throttle quadrant the joystic between your legs and right hand on the crank. the airplane would do a dipsy doodle up and down motion while retracting the gear. with a cable system it dont get any primitive then that. thanks vic for the info A HARDY WELL DONE.

Boats

I been so busy on my own project, hadn't realised I haven't looked in on your finished thread. You once again have done good. Nah, brilllliant. I am just now wondering if it was an influance for the Geebee?

Well done mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back