**** DONE: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 - Captured / Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard – Polikarpov I-16 Type 29
Model Type: Rumanian Air Force, 1941

Extras: Truly OOB, honest..........well maybe an addition replacement exhaust manifolds and it does have a lot of etched detail in the kit!!!!
This is my only entry into GB 12 and unfortunately apart from the information given in the instructions, I've been unable to find any other details.

When I saw Karl (rochie) playing with one of these a couple of builds ago, I just had to do one myself. This is an early I-16 type 29 with a bottom side single oil cooler air intake and was captured by advancing Rumanian forces in Moldavia in the summer of 1941. 19th Observation Escadrille operated the aircraft in the observation training role for IAR-29 crews. Later in 1941, about August-September it was used for trial flights with the IAR-80 fighter.

It is not certain if the aircraft wears the original VVS colours of dark green-light blue, or if it was over painted. It is however believed that Rumanian national markings were applied along with the Eastern Front identification marks of fuselage band, wing tip and in yellow.

Needless to say, if anybody has additional information on this machine and it's colouring, please by all means, just holler.

111109-1A.JPG

111109-1B.JPG

111109-1C.jpg

111109-1D.JPG

111109-1E.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice pic and info there Bill. THX for posting. :)

Thanks guys.

Big thanks also Bill, was wondering what the open side door looked like on the inside as I've had thoughts of chopping this bit out of the fuselage to help display some of the inner detail better.

Had a bit of a set back today.................while masking up to start the spray process, the engine came unplugged and even though I tries to remount it within the cowling it wasn't cooperating. In the end I had to remove the nose faring and hopefully get the engine to re-sit correctly. Anyway, onwards and upwards tomorrow morning............I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back