**** FINISHED: 1/48 Vought F-8E Crusader VF-211 "Checkmates" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
User name, Meatloaf109
Name, Paul
Catagory, Intermediate
Scale, 1/48
Manufacturer, Revell
Model type, Vought F-8E
Aftermarket, Just the usual bits of wire and crap I find around the house.

I started out to do a more or less straight OOB build, but to quote a great man, "Then I went insane".
I figured that the prominent feature of this aircraft was the variable incidence wing, so I built the plumbing and junk for under it, then I discovered that the flaps and slats would naturally be dropped when the wing is in the raised position, so out came the razor saw.
The folded wing was an easy one, as the kit came with the end sections as separate pieces. I added wires and stretched sprue to fill out the wheel wells and add the brake lines.
The markings are for LCDR Tim Hubbard (1 kill 1 probable on July 21 1967) with the highest scoring F-8 squadron, VF-211, upon return to the U.S. after the '67 cruise on the U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard
My thanks to all who looked in and for the nice comments and encouragements offered.

F839.jpg

f840.jpg

f841.jpg

f842.jpg

f843.jpg

f844.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent finish Paul! Great looking jet, like the wing fold and the positioned wing.

Thanks! With the incredible number of planes that I have built (and lost...ex's mostly) over the years this was my first F-8, but it might not be the last!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back