**** DONE: 1/48 Vought F-8E Crusader VF-211 "Checkmates" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
User name, Meatloaf109
Name, Paul
Catagory, Intermediate
Scale, 1/48
Manufacturer, Revell (ex-monogram)
Model type, Vought F-8E Crusader
Aftermarket, none, just some bits of wire and crap I find in boxes, as the desk is clean.

This is my first F-8 kit, the "Last of the gunfighters", although history has proven that one wrong, it's still kinda cool.
Doing the U.S.N. VF-211 version because I like the clean wings.
The markings are for LCDR Tim Hubbard, (1 kill, 1 probable on July 21 1967.) upon return to the US after the "67 cruise on the U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard.

f81.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At first look it appears to be typical Monogram; good (not great) detail and raised panel lines, (there may be some rescribing in my future). The decals look to be thinner than the old Mono kits, so thats good. All in all, I am pretty happy with it.

Nice one Paul, always liked this tin trike. BTW, Monogram and Revell are the same company nowadays, hence seeing ex- Mono kits in Revell boxes.

Well, after some dry fitting, I have discovered that there is no intake detail at all. It is like some of those old Lindberg blow-through flutes. So I will have to scratch the jet intake out of card or something...

I am suffering from a major case of the stupids, I read the instructions and they forgot to show the intake trunk. I was looking for pictures on the net of this kit and noticed that everybody else had a piece in the trunk... Sure enough, I looked at the trees closer and wa-lah, there it was. So a couple of hours have been wasted trying to figure how to fabricate a part that is actually present...
The upside is I came across some good picts of U.S.N. flight gear for 1967.

Well,.....I'm late but it's looking superb sir. It amazes me how you guys get the instrument clusters to look so good. Mine end up looking like a flock of Cedar Wax Wings nested over it overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back