**** DONE: 1/48 Vought F-8E Crusader VF-211 "Checkmates" - Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mr. Wolters, sorry to say, but on this occastion I can not take any credit, (other than correct placement of the kit decal and liberal use of Micro-set) on the I.P.
However, I have had a great deal of success on 1/48 I.P.'s, and pilots, and really tiny stuff, because I have a "helping hands" magnifying glass. (I refuse to get glasses,...Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!) I wish I could remember who makes the darn thing...Anyways, you can get one from squadron.com or one of those other guys that sell model supplies.

(not to toot my own horn, mind you,....Hmm, come to think of it, if I could do that, I'd never leave the house...)
Here's an example,... Pilot-wise, not the other...

f83.jpg

I have two, one with a light and one without.:lol: I haven't found the proper tool for applying the paint to the dials when I don't have decal. And I tried a bucket load of things last night on the Spitfire gauge cluster, and not all at once:lol:, it didn't work. Eventually I will get it figured out.

I have two, one with a light and one without.:lol: I haven't found the proper tool for applying the paint to the dials when I don't have decal. And I tried a bucket load of things last night on the Spitfire gauge cluster, and not all at once:lol:, it didn't work. Eventually I will get it figured out.
Colored pencils are a great help, properly sharpened, of course. (Hint, hint!)

Cool choice for this group built. Looks like you're off to a good start.

Thank you!
There are going to be some nasty seams to fill in the intake, but overall the fit is good.

f84.jpg

Nice work Paul, it's looking very good.
Aaron, you could always try the 'scratch off' method for instrument dials. Paint the panel gloss white,let it dry, then apply matt black. When dry, or 90% dry, use a sharp pin to scratch the black paint, 'drawing' in the needles, figured etc as scratches, which will reveal the white beneath. Gloss white is used as the matt black will lift easier.

Nice work Paul, it's looking very good.
Aaron, you could always try the 'scratch off' method for instrument dials. Paint the panel gloss white,let it dry, then apply matt black. When dry, or 90% dry, use a sharp pin to scratch the black paint, 'drawing' in the needles, figured etc as scratches, which will reveal the white beneath. Gloss white is used as the matt black will lift easier.
I told him about the colored pencil trick, I forgot that one about the scratching, thanks!

The seams have gotten puttied, 90% of the bad ones were in the intake and on the bottom, so I'm pretty happy about that. Wings have been glued up, clamped, and are drying.

f85.jpg

f86.jpg

f87.jpg

f88.jpg

I like this one Paul it was a fascinating time in jet development. Your off to a good start as well, nicely done. Workbench has had a tidy up well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back