**** DONE: 1/48 Grumman F-6-F 3 Hellcat - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
User name, Meatloaf109
Name, Paul
Catagory, Intermediate
Scale, 1/48
Manufacturer, Hasegawa
Model type, Grumman F-6-F 3 Hellcat
Aftermarket, just the usual bits of stuff, wire, stretched sprue, so on...

While I was waiting for the putty to dry on the F-8, I thought, "Hey, hows about working on that Hellcat?" and as I had no real answer as to why not, I did.
Then it dawned on me, I had not posted an entry for it.
So...
This fine piece of Grumman engineering will be finished as "Butch" O'Hares mount when he was in command of VF- 6. When he took delivery of the brand new Hellcat it was finished in the "Dark blue,intermediate blue over white" scheme, and National insignia, according to the directive of Jan 21 1943.
I intend to portray this one on the day he picked it up, clean and new.

hell1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Look! Look! I've got a "siggy"!
Thanks Chris, I couldn't have done it without you! (Literally, the design, and even getting it on the page!)
Actually, I couldn't have done it, period. All I did was say "Wow, that's cool" and then hit the wrong buttons!

See, there it is!
Down here!
Yay!!!!

Last edited:
Totally agree!
The glue is a'flyin, and some paint too...
The IP and side panels are a combo of kit decals, colored pencils and some MM yellow and red, thrown randomly at bits of plastic. (In between Effin-up some clear and concise instructions on computer-machine usage)
I'm not happy with the molded-on harness on the seat, so no picture of that until I get something better going on.

f89.jpg

This Hellcat was a neat choice. I have a decal a pretty basic Academy wildcat and enough decals to put together one of Butch's early Wildcat fighters. I'm thinking of doing that along with my build of Thach's fighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back