**** DONE: 1/40 Grumman F-14 "Tomcat" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The front decal on the port side.... Do you mean the front strip and the US Star marking on that?

Yes.... It's off just a bit. Too far forward...

meatloaf109 said:
I see the starboard side, it looks straight. No pic's of the port, or did I miss something?

I purposely did not show the port side front..... (Where's Wayne when you need him ?)

Charles

Last edited:
Thanks, Lads. Doing some touch up on the Tomcat, and measured the ailerons. Egad... ! One is 1 mm wider than the
other ! Can't have that, now, can we ? So I am repainting the one aileron. Hoping the canopy gets here today.

Charles

:shock: For shame, Mr.C, for shame!
I do hope you will sort this out before exposing some of our more impressionable members to this blatant show of inaccuracy.
Some of us are quite easily influenced by peer pressure and might start going crazy, like using "conjectural" paint jobs, on say, a Stuka, for instance!

Those F-14's were made for the skull and crossbones!
Agree with Paul. This was my favorite tail marking version.
84.JPG

As always Charles, An excellent job.

Geo

The error on the aileron width is being corrected as we speak. I must say, there are those who would call me out on such an oversight. Not dealing in mm's every day, I get confused when I have to measure something in the metric system. And, my eyes must share some of the blame. I thought I counted 12 of those little things.... The canopy did NOT arrive today..... Boo Hiss....

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2727.JPG
    DSC_2727.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Ah, all is well! Thank goodness you caught that, who knows what kind of mayhem could have ensued, the very fabric of our society torn...
Must say, you rock that bow tie! Very sharp, Sir!

Have to agree with you Charles, them little mm's is so hard to see let alone count even with the magnifier. You're doing a great job though, the fins are looking real cool.

That's really coming to life now Charles - looks great.
i must admit, being 'old school', I still measure in Imperial. But, I also break the 'Golden Rule', and mix measurements! For general use, it's inches, feet etc., and for travelling, I think in miles, and miles per gallon. But for map work, I use metric, and for accurate measurement when modelling, I also use metric.
I have to use a magnifying glass to measure when modelling, and although those millimetres are tiny blighters, I find it much easier than trying to get down and see 32nd or 64th of an inch!
And trying to visualise, say, 10 thou is impossible!

Guess I need to get a magnifying glass, Terry ! On the dimmer side, received a canopy, in the mail, from Guillows, today. Albeit, the wrong canopy. I ordered a canopy for kit-1402 "Tomcat" and they sent me a canopy for kit-1403 F-16 Fighting Falcon. Called Susan at Guillows, and she is sending the correct one, first class mail. Another few days....

Charles

Hope the right one arrives, undamaged Charles.
Have a think about getting one of those 'Helping Hands' glasses, with the clamps at each end. I've been using one since long before I needed reading glasses, for small detail work, and wouldn't be without it. My (then) wife bought it for me, one of the best things she ever did - apart from marry me, and provide our daughter, of course!

Have got me a good magnifier, but one of the helping hand things wouldn't go astray, may just have to invest in one.

Sorry to hear about the canopy being wrong Charles, I often get this with paint from mail supply, I've a stack of free duplicate colours due to pickers not checking there work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back