**** DONE: 1/30 Grumman Hellcat - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Username: ccheese
Name: Charles
Category: Intermediate
Kit: Guillows rubber powered balsa/tissue F6F "Hellcat"
Scale: 1/30

Accessories: None that can be purchased. However, I am going to make the rudder in two pieces. Ditto for the stabilizer. We've all see aircraft parked. In most instances, the elevator is in a down position. This one will be down also. And, I am going to make the ailerons separate, so I don't have to outline them with tape. I wanted to put the flaps down, but.... the flaps in the F6F we only in the lower section of the wing, and I have no way of splitting the wing.

I will have to modify the landing gear, also. Another instance of a "bent pin", which will not do.

Prior to the build I did quite a bit of research on the Hellcat. Thanks to Mr. Stephen Sherman, who wrote a piece for Acepilots.com, I have quite a history on the F6F. I have learned that prior to production there was an XF6F-1 and an XF6F-3 (only one dash two, with a turbo charged R-2600). Also, there was one F6F-4, fitted with a two speed turbo charged R2800 engine. Production wise they went straight to a dash five and on to -5N and -5P. The -5N and -5P had a 20mm cannon in the innermost position on the wing, and 200 rounds of ammo.

Because there was not much external difference between the dash three and the dash five, this will be a standard U.S. Navy F6F-3, not dedicated to any pilot or squadron.

The watchword for this build will be, "Leading edges rounded, training edges tapered".

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2516.JPG
    DSC_2516.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 196
Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a nice build!!

I love doing this work and do not have to be stored flat and these aircraft, I encourage charles

The only real major exterior difference is the -3 has those extra windows behind the cockpit, and the -5 doesn't. So you could go either way.
Welcome to the big cat!

Thanks for the encouragement, Lads. Think I will go with the -3, as the plans show a small window behind the cockpit.

As all good naval projects do.... it all starts with the keel. Got the keel down this morning. Then formers for both sides and the one side member. Next move is the stringers.

(Jockeying two builds at one time is a chore !)

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2517.JPG
    DSC_2517.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_2518.JPG
    DSC_2518.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 165
Well,well,well Charles has got it go'in on doesn't he.:thumbright:

Rapid start Charles. What kind of glue do you use?

I use two different types, depending on what I'm doing. I use a quick dry Testor's balsa airplane glue and I also use Elmer's white glue (extra strength). Both dry "clear". The Elmer's is good for filling cracks, even if you need more than one application. When dry either can be sanded or shaped with a sharp blade. To attach the tissue to the balsa, I use Aero Gloss clear dope.

Charles

Been working on the fuselage of the Hellcat, today, in between things that had to be done around the hacienda. Got a bit more done. Note the framing for the little window, behind the cockpit. That's not included in the plans, BTW......

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2519.JPG
    DSC_2519.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_2520.JPG
    DSC_2520.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_2521.JPG
    DSC_2521.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Got another dumb question for you Charles. Do these kits come with the tissue or do you have to buy it separate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back