Fire Trucks!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like it :D

I have a firehouse about 5 minute, walk away, they never have there fire trucks out though.
Firemen are great guys, ask 'em when the next time might be that they are washing the trucks (which they're always polishing and cleaning) and they'll probably be more than happy to let you take some photos!

Yea! But since I live in a small town there pumper truck is from the 70's and has a 3,000 (Does that sound about right?) gallon tank. They're planning to get a new truck in January of 2010! So I'll have some pictures for sure!

Great shots Dave!:thumbleft: I almost forgot, I did get some shots of fire trucks yesterday.:oops:
IMG_5702 resized 25.jpg

IMG_5703 resized 25.jpg

IMG_5746 resized 25.jpg

Last edited:
I was working a vendor booth for the company I work for at the Goodguys car show this past weekend in Joliet, Il. and back at the hotel we were staying at, I came across this 65 Chevy truck that had a extremely longer than stock hood. Underneath the hood was 702 cubic inch V12 GMC truck motor built from 1960-64. Guys found the engine in a scrap pile and decided to out it too use. I could only get pics of the motor as it was dark out, and was going to track the truck down to get pics the following day, but was not able too. We talked with the owner for a few hours. Coolest engine at the whole show!
Another cool part was the truck was made in memory of his uncle who died in WW2 flying on board a B-24 called Rap'em Pappy! the tailgate was painted with Rap Em Pappy on it, in memory of the crew who died on 07-07-44 I think? Anyone know where to find any info on this plane? The crew was listed as MIA.
It was just a totally cool vehicle. Hood was at least 5-6 feet long, and was made into a front opening!

Attachments

• 702-1.JPG
    702-1.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 2,437
  • 702-2.JPG
    702-2.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 6,224
  • 702-3.JPG
    702-3.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 1,680
  • 702-4.JPG
    702-4.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,639
  • 703-4.JPG
    703-4.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,481
Also wanted to apologize that this was not a firetruck or anything, but thought it fit in this section!

No need to apologize, those engines were used in GMC firetrucks in the late 50's and very early 60's!

My frends and I were going to put a 702.9 c.i. V12 in my '68 Chevelle (back in the 80's) but it never happened, I ended up with a custom built 454 instead :lol:

Great shots, thanks for sharin' them!

Last edited:
I had never seen one of those before Messy. Thanks for posting. Very interesting.:cool:
Aaron, check out the "big block" V6 engines GMC was using...the 702 was in essence a twin V6 using two V6 intakes (with the Rochester 2G or 2GV on each intake, on the later models), seperate heads valve covers and a twin distributor (the shaft branched out into twin caps).

For bottom-end torque, it was a beast!

I'll bet!!!:thumbleft: It would be neat to set that up in a pulling truck and take it to the tractor pulls. I don't think that you could hurt the motor. Weight the truck properly with a good set of tires and axles and you could upset a lot of folks.:lol:

Yeah TORQUE MONSTER. The owner said about 2500 rpm was max on this thing. It uses a common crankshaft and camshaft, has tow distributors, and was topped with 2 Holley 500 cfm carbs. We talked to the owner about getting him some custom 2 barrel carbs made that will outflow and perform those stock out of the box Holleys. I though it would be really interesting to see what this monster would do with 2 four barrel carbs on it, there is just a 4 barrel manifold ever made for this motor

Last edited:
Here are some specs on the motor. I'm not sure two four barrel carbs would work unless they were 400cfm give or take. It's a low rpm motor.http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=55766&d=1244057920
Any Carb and/or Intake config from the 1960 onwards GM V6 (305/351 c.i.d.) should work, including the smaller 4M series 4 barrel carbs...they aren't the spreadbore like the Q-Jets, but alot of options. I have seen twin 2G intakes for the V6, so if you could find two double duece intakes, that would be the equivellent of two 4 barrels, but looking far cooler! (almost as cool as my L33 409 engine looked with a six-pack intake) :thumbleft:

The specs on the 702 is a 4.56" bore x 3.58" stroke putting out 250 horse with almost 600 ft/lb torque...definately a man-beast for it's time. And just imagine what it could do with a little "work" :lol:

Here's more Redding Fire Department equipment.

Both Redding T-1 Ladder trucks do not have onboard water tanks, like Red Bluff's T-1. Instead, these trucks rely on hydrants or water tenders to supply them.

IMG 1: Redding Fire Department, Engine 15
IMG 2: Redding Fire Department, Engine 45
IMG 3: Redding Fire Department, Engine 62
IMG 4: Redding Fire Department, Truck 1 (old, soon to be transferred to another station)
IMG 5: Redding Fire Department, Truck 1 (new, assigned to station 1)
IMG 6: Redding Fire Department, Water Tender 5

Redding_E-15.jpg
Redding_E-45.jpg
Redding_E-62.jpg
Redding_T-1_old.jpg
Redding_T-1_new.jpg
Redding_WT-2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back