Firm To Remove Bible Sayings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I saw the stamp, I assumed it was part of the serial number. It says "JN8:12"

Well, then if it is only written that way, I agree with you... Why bother removing it ? It could be anything.

P.S. Just checked on Google... Here is what the numbers meant : "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'"

Now, if that had been written on a flashlight or NVG, it could have been pretty funny... Well, at least to my twisted mind.

Like putting the Chinese proverb 'it's better to light a candle than curse the darkness' on a packet of matches, eh? :)

Strange practice, I never would have thought bible references would be stamped on military equipment - seems ridiculous to remove them though. Sounds like some armament dealers and generals have too much time on their hands.

I think the real point to this is that the UK and US governments have been at pains for years to try and make the point that the war on terror is NOT a religious war. Having such references on your gunsight somewhat undermines that position.

I think the real point to this is that the UK and US governments have been at pains for years to try and make the point that the war on terror is NOT a religious war. Having such references on your gunsight somewhat undermines that position.

+1 Waynos

Why can't we answer it here ? (just wondering before you cut me off in my prime)

(and what is a hooten-nanny ?)

Hootenanny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hootenanny is an Appalachian colloquialism that was used in early twentieth century America to refer to things whose names were forgotten or unknown. In this usage it was synonymous with thingamajig or whatchamacallit, as in "hand me that hootenanny." Hootenanny was also an old country word for "party".

According to Pete Seeger, in various interviews, he first heard the word hootenanny in Seattle, Washington in the late 1930s. It was used by Hugh DeLacey's New Deal political club to describe their monthly music fund raisers. After some debate the club voted in the word hootenanny, which narrowly beat out the word wingding. Seeger, Woody Guthrie and other members of the Almanac Singers later used the word in New York City to describe their weekly rent parties, which featured many notable folksingers of the time. In a 1962 interview in Time Joan Baez made the analogy that a hootenanny is to folk singing what a jam session is to jazz.

Hootenanny was mentioned in the TV series Lost in 2009, when the character Phil comes into the security room and says they have started a hootenanny.

The Family Guy episode' To Love and Die in Dixie' features two stereotyped southern characters fighting over whether the barn party was, in fact, a hoedown or hootenanny.

In the Nintendo 64 game, Mario Party 2, on the Western Land game board, if a player lands on a certain space he has the option to the throw a "hootenanny" in which all players go to the same space, drink milk, and appear drunk afterwards.

:)

Like putting the Chinese proverb 'it's better to light a candle than curse the darkness' on a packet of matches, eh? :)

At one point matches were nick-named Lucifers - certainly in the UK - as in the WW1 song :-

While you've a Lucifer to light your fag,
Smile, boys, that's the style.
What's the use of worrying?
etc

I wonder what the Afghanis would make of someone giving them a box of matches with " Lucifer" on it ! :twisted:

YES!

Anybody who thinks is about political correctness is horribly mistaken. We need allies of all different religions. The Jesus Scope has no place and will only serve as evidence to some that we are a nation of Christians engaged in a religious crusade.

The line between "Good Guys" and "Bad Guys" is not always clear and we shouldnt piss off any potential allies. This military contractor has done harm to our image and will fuel detractors of America for a long time.

I dont see how any thinking person could condone the engravings. Scripture has no place on military equipment.

If you believe we are involved in a righteous, Christian crusade against Islam, please put a bullet in your head now!

Actually the Jesus Scope is pretty appropriate... there have been billions of deaths in the name of religion!
We need a whole line of Jesus Chemical weapons and Jesus Nukes.

Last edited:
Actually the Jesus Scope is pretty appropriate... there have been billions of deaths in the name of religion!

OK What about soliders wearing Jesus Boots ?

Designer+Men%27s+Sandals+By+Gucci.jpg

At one point matches were nick-named Lucifers - certainly in the UK - as in the WW1 song :-

etc

I wonder what the Afghanis would make of someone giving them a box of matches with " Lucifer" on it ! :twisted:

fact:Matches are called here in the Netherlands Lucifers :lol:
piet

Last edited:
Hootenanny is an Appalachian colloquialism that was used in early twentieth century America to refer to things whose names were forgotten or unknown. In this usage it was synonymous with thingamajig or whatchamacallit, as in "hand me that hootenanny." Hootenanny was also an old country word for "party".

Its Also

A TV Series - with Jools Holland (formerly of Squeeze fame)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hootenanny_(UK_TV_series)

I agree Matt, that is how life was 'back then' there wasn't the vast diversity their is now. It was mostly Christian...

Agreed, H. That is why the founders(specifically Madison and Jefferson) were so dead set against any government sanction of religion. They were terrified of tyranny of the majority-even it that majority was christian.

So help me God, does not specify any specific religion or creed. While it was likely written by Christians, it does not say "Jesus", it says God. I really see no reason for people to get their knickers in a twist over a bible verse or the mere mention of the word God.

So what about atheists? Are they to be excluded if "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof?" Under your scenario, God is a given, and all worship God.

etc

I just want to know who authorized my portrait? There's gonna be hell to pay!

So what about atheists? Are they to be excluded if "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof?" Under your scenario, God is a given, and all worship God.

I'm an atheist but the phrase "so help me God" doesnt bother me.. it's a symbol of dedication. It has historical providence. I'll say the phrase and respect the spirit of the intention.
i dont worship God but i accept the seriousness that he represents.

No religion specific beliefs should be on mil equipment though simply because it complicates things too much.

OK What about soliders wearing Jesus Boots ?

Designer+Men%27s+Sandals+By+Gucci.jpg

I dont mean to disrespect Jesus followers in my comment but if killing makes God happy why not kill more efficiently than one shot at a time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back