Flying Legends 2018

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's my first batch, starting with those 'fragile' Spitfires.
I started to have an intermittent problem with one of my Nikons, where it would focus but not 'fire', or fire without fully focusing, which at first I put down to maybe choosing the wrong focus settings, but I later began to think it was the heat. By evening, this camera body had settled down, and was working properly, but I'd already swapped lenses between the two bodies.
More pics tomorrow.

For 2.jpg
For 3.jpg
For 4.jpg
For 5.jpg
For 7.jpg
For 8.jpg
For 9.jpg
For 10.jpg
For 11.jpg
For 12.jpg

Nice pictures Terry and Marcel, if a fifth of mine come out as well as yours, I'll be happy. I won't be posting for some time yet; I'm still on tour in the UK - up in Scotland right now. Terrific to meet you guys on Sunday and glad to hear the barbeque went well. We went to the Eagle in Cambridge, which was chocka full of Legends attendees all wanting to soak up the atmosphere. The show was great, the highlight for me was the Red Bull display, especially the P-38. The natural metal finish on that and the B-25 looks terrific and the aeroplanes are extremely photogenic. One annoyance was that within the Gold Pass tent the stewards wouldn't let photographers along the flight line, placing us behind a blue line behind all the seats, which is fair for those who want to watch the show, but surely the Gold Pass organisers should have set aside an area along the fence line specifically for photographers. They were strict at making people sit down so as not to get in our way, though! Very odd!

Yep, there are some odd rules at DX, some good, some not so good.
That Press compound in front of us was irritating - I spoke to the guy who had been commentating, when we went back on Monday, and mentioned that the (sometimes dubious) Press photographers blocked the view, making no attempt to keep out of the way, and suggested that perhaps the Press area could be moved sideways, totally separate from the crowd line, thereby allowing those early arrivals, such as us, to be able to see the flight line and display axis. He thought that was a reasonable request, and would pass on the info to those who mattered.

Anyway, on with the pics, and some odds and ends from me, with one of the Mk1 Hurricanes, one of three Max Holste Broussards visiting from France, and two new comers to the UK air show circuit, P-51D 'The Hun Hunter / Texas', and the Spitfire MkVc, which made its first post restoration flight I believe in April this year.

For 13.jpg
For 14.jpg
For 15.jpg
For 16.jpg
For 17.jpg
For 18.jpg
For 19.jpg
For 20.jpg
For 21.jpg
For 22.jpg

The next slot was the Battle of Britain tribute, with the lovely Blenheim Mk1F in formation with two Spitfire Mk1 and 4 Hurricane Mk1.
When the Blenheim landed, off a right-hand circuit, it came in steep and hot, right over the ARC hangars, just 150 yards from where we were located.
More to follow soon .................

For 43.jpg
For 44.jpg
For 45.jpg
For 46.jpg
For 47.jpg
For 48.jpg
For 49.jpg
For 50.jpg
For 51.jpg
For 52.jpg

Thanks Andy.
The next few selections begin to show that focusing problem, before I changed the lenses / bodies around, with some slightly 'soft' shots and slight over-exposure.

Last selection for today, with the Mk1 Hurricanes - more to follow tomorrow.

For 53.jpg
For 54.jpg
For 55.jpg
For 56.jpg
For 57.jpg
For 58.jpg
For 59.jpg
For 60.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back