Flying Legends 2018

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps, it's much appreciated.
Hope you both have a great, relaxing time in Rhodes Sander.

A few of the BBMF Lancaster, PA474 'City of Lincoln', in her 'new season' markings, applied during her 'deep service' at Duxford over the winter.
Those intermittent exposure problems are becoming more evident in these shots.
For 61.jpg
For 62.jpg
For 63.jpg
For 64.jpg
For 65.jpg
For 66.jpg
For 67.jpg
For 68.jpg
For 69.jpg
For 70.jpg

The 'Battle of Britain' movie was filmed 50 years ago this year, with the main base for operations being at Duxford which, at the time, was not in use, being on 'Care and Maintenance', so the next display was a tribute to the anniversary of the filming, with Buchons and Spitfires dogfighting overhead, and doing individual displays.
The UK population of Buchons has grown, with more machines coming from the 'stock' of Connie Edwards, who has had them in store since 1968, and the World's only two-seat example is now based here. This aircraft originally had a 'blown' rear canopy, and was used as a camera ship during the filming, and was also flown by Adolph Galland at that time. It now has both 'standard' canopies, and will be seen in the second set, which I'll post tomorrow.

For 81.jpg
For 82.jpg
For 83.jpg
For 84.jpg
For 85.jpg
For 86.jpg
For 87.jpg
For 88.jpg
For 89.jpg
For 90.jpg

Thanks Paul.

Cameras are Nikon D90 and D80, with Nikon 55-300mm lens and Nikon 18-70mm lens. Most of the shots were taken at around 150 to 200mm, with a few at the limit at 300mm.
It was the D90 which started to have the intermittent fault, so I changed the 300mm lens onto the D80 body, and put the 70mm onto the D90 body.
All shots after the Lancaster were with the D80 / 300mm lens combination.

Thanks Paul.

Cameras are Nikon D90 and D80, with Nikon 55-300mm lens and Nikon 18-70mm lens. Most of the shots were taken at around 150 to 200mm, with a few at the limit at 300mm.
It was the D90 which started to have the intermittent fault, so I changed the 300mm lens onto the D80 body, and put the 70mm onto the D90 body.
All shots after the Lancaster were with the D80 / 300mm lens combination.

Sweet Terry, I meet up with Eric on Monday for Day 1 of Airventure. Hoping I can do half as good as you and Marcel this year :)

Nice one Red Two - hope you have some time off soon to sort the rest.

Continuing with the BoB movie tribute, with the next two posts showing more of the Spitfires and 'Bouchoschmitts', all of those shown having taken part in the movie.
It's probably safe to say that this classic movie really 'kicked off' the 'warbird' movement across the World, with so many airframes rescued from oblivion, and restored back to flying condition, or at least able to taxi, back in 1968. It could be said that Duxford airfield was also saved (apart from the hangar blown up during filming!), opening with a collection of aircraft under the 'control' of the Duxford Aviation Society, and opening its historic gates for the first airshow in the early 1970's, and has since grown, under the banner of the Imperial War Museum, with the airfield and buildings preserved, and additions in the form of the Air Space hangar, American Air Museum, and the Land Warfare Hall.

For 91.jpg
For 92.jpg
For 93.jpg
For 94.jpg
For 95.jpg
For 96.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back