Focke Wulf 190 crash

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kurtl

Airman 1st Class
Aug 14, 2006
Please look at the pictures and tell me what that is. My assumption is a FW 190. We found remains of 2cm and 3cm ammuniton. The number on the one part is: "9-801.422-796.14". Guess the "801" stands for BMW801. But is that possible - a Focke Wulf 190 with BMW 801 and 3cm cannons?

I believe that picture 1 shows the paddle-wheel what was in front of the engine.

Picture 3 is the part with the number on it.

Pictures 4 and 5 show the same part. "Drehzahl" means "revolutions per minute". I'm nosy what that was.

Picture 5 shows a 2 cm shell.

The last picture was some kind of advice. The redish part in the middle is moveable.

Best regards and many thanks for the help!
Kurtl

Attachments

• Lüfterschaufeln.JPG
    Lüfterschaufeln.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 628
  • Fundzusammenstellung.JPG
    Fundzusammenstellung.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 352
  • BMW 801 Teil.JPG
    BMW 801 Teil.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 362
  • Gashebel 1.JPG
    Gashebel 1.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 416
  • Gashebel Drehzahl.JPG
    Gashebel Drehzahl.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 374
  • 2 cm Hülse.JPG
    2 cm Hülse.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 338
  • Anzeige.JPG
    Anzeige.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 340
The shell is from the 20mm. It is empty. There was still some black color on it. - Kurtl

The 9 stands for the number of pistons the engine had.

you are right, it was a Fokker 190.

The rest of the numbers say that this is Plane 422-796.

number 14 is the number that mark that this was the 14th plane off the prodution, maby that year or that mounth.

Nice find....it must be really exciting to find something like this....I remembered a few weeks ago some guys from here found half a Sherman in a river and from what I heard its been exposed in the military museum...

The 9 stands for the number of pistons the engine had.

you are right, it was a Fokker 190.

The rest of the numbers say that this is Plane 422-796.

number 14 is the number that mark that this was the 14th plane off the prodution, maby that year or that mounth.

:shock:

BULLSH!T !!!

9-801 is a BMW 801 engine designation, other numbers is a part designation on parts catalogue (sorry, I don't know what part it is, cause I haven't got erzatzliste for FW 190).

Kurtl said:
But is that possible - a Focke Wulf 190 with BMW 801 and 3cm cannons?
Thre were a lot of FW 190 with 3 cm MK 108 cannons, especially in Sturmbock units.

I do not believe that "422.796" is the plane serial either. Found out that this part was a "Stauwand" between certain cylinders of the BMW 801.

When I cleaned the part shown in picture 4 and 5 (the yellow one with "N34" on it) I was sure that I had the throttle of the Focke Wulf in my hand! It just fitted perfect and on the place where just my thumb rested there was the trigger to increase or decrease the propeller rpm ("Drehzahl"). I don't have a picture how such a throttle looked like when it was in better shape. So I'm not sure but I think someone in this forum will help at this point. Thanks a lot!

Kurtl

The number in the third pic is inverted.I've corrected it.Really great find.:)

Attachments

• BMW_correction.jpg
    BMW_correction.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 288
could be mistaken Kurtl but think you have found remains of one of IV.Sturm/JG 3's Sturmjäger, Fw 190A-8/R2. The shlell may have been the steel composite used with the 2cm Minengeschoss used by the SturmFw pilots. obviously it is a little rusty otherwise through the oxidizing process over the years it would of actually turned a funny blue-black in colour. I own 2-3 2cm M shells from a II.Sturm/JG 4 Fw

I will reply to your private mail soon. congrats very good new.........

Erich ~

"9-801.422-796.14"

"9" is code for aircraft engines.

"801" is the engine type

"422-796.14" is for the specific baffling.

You have part of the cylinder head baffling for the BMW801 series engine. When I return from traveling, I can tell you exactly which piece you have from the part #. Some of the other other easily identifiable parts are the Lufterrad, waffengeber, oil line, adjustment ring, and waffenhaube latch.

All the best,

Crumpp

@ Erich: Have found such steel 2cm shells some time ago at an airfield where just "Schlachtgeschwader" for ground attackes were based. Are you sure that only Sturmjäger used that kind of shell?

@crumpp: Thanks for the help. Could you post some drawings here that show the parts where they were located on the aircraft? Surely would be interesting for all.

@Wurger: The number was stamped on the opposite side of the thin sheet metal. So it is visible on both sides. I posted the picture from the back because the number was better to read on that side.

Will let you know who the pilot was as soon I find out.

Regards, Kurtl

you mentioned that you found 2cm and 3cm shells correct ? so I was assuming because of that you may have found remains of a SturmFw.

could you post a better more close-up of the shell for all of us as I want to compare it with mine. something does not appear to be right in the shape at the top

E ~

Here is the baffling with the part NUmber on it.

It is the stauwand for cylinder 14:

th_43169_Cylinder_14_baffle_122_859lo.jpg

th_43675_Cylinder_14_baffle_2_122_723lo.jpg

The black piece in the photo with the baffling is a rocker arm.

All the best,

Crumpp

@Crumpp: Excelent details! Are they out of the spare parts manual?

@Erich: Here is a better close up of the 2cm shell too.

And I found a new part with the FL-number: 204535 and a big part of probably the engine. It's avalve or something like that..

Kurtl

Attachments

• Gurtgliedteil 3cm.JPG
    Gurtgliedteil 3cm.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20mm Hülse.JPG
    20mm Hülse.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 191
  • FL204535 oben.JPG
    FL204535 oben.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 181
  • FL204535 Seite.JPG
    FL204535 Seite.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 187
  • FL204535 Stempel.JPG
    FL204535 Stempel.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 196
  • BMW 801 Ventil.JPG
    BMW 801 Ventil.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 184
  • BMW 801 Ventil 2.JPG
    BMW 801 Ventil 2.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 201
Kurtl yes the 2cm shell casing matches mine. I have two blown out cases, now even though the piece is rusted are there any nummern on the bottom of the shell that you can read ??

Hello Erich,

No sorry, nothing readable on the bottom. Will meet a friend tomorrow who is going to sandblast a few pieces I have found. Maybe after this we can read something.

Trying to find out which types of FW190 all had 2 3 cm weapons on board. Maybe it really was a A-8/R2?

Kurtl

I can only think of that variant in your southern Region. was just looking at my examples of the 2cm dark black-grey almost semi-gloss oxidized casings. on the back and it is chipped pretty bad on one, the other reads 44 and then an 88 to it's side and then a waffenmat imprint but the number is unreadable and then the other side is chipped off.

either IV.Sturm/JG 3 or II.Sturm/JG 300 which both flew against the US 15th AF bomber formations. Are you finding any B-17 or B-24 machine parts in this area at all ?

Erich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back