Fonderie Miniture 1/48 Handley Page Hampden [ pics ]

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have just caught up with this forum page when researching and making a start on the FM Hampden kit. I am wanting to add a 1/48 489 (NZ) Squadron example of a Hampden to my display collection.

A real nice job Ian Lanc. I can really concur about the challenging and shocking fit of the components etc, but as you have done, it is a matter of just quietly working through the numerous issues and getting on with it. As you have proven ultimately with extreme (emphasis on extreme) patience and good modelling skils you have proven you can come through with an excellent representative of the Hampden as a very important part of WWII aviation history, which has not been very well represented by kit manufacturers, especially in 1/48 scale. At least FM has had the guts to do so.

Although not a skilled modeller having only just started aircraft kit modelling again after a 40 plus year break, it is certainly proving a challenge having completed a lot of the fuselage and interior fittings with more scratch built fittings to be added, before buttoning up the fuselage halves.

I have made a start on the wings and undercarriage today - so far so good but they do require a lot of work and effort of repeatedly sanding, dry fitting. and ultimately glueing to get some semblance of representing a Hampden set of wings etc.

Call me nuts, but I also want to convert this kit to a T.B.1 version with the lower and larger bomb bay doors, to finish it representing a 489 (N.Z). Squadron Hampden AN127 XA-Y. This ultimately is going to involve moulding a set of replacement bomb doors and finding a spare 1/48 18inch torpedo to fit in the open bomb bay.

Refering to your photographs and suggestions on how you have gone about building your Hampden example has been of great assistance, inspiratation and encouragement. Once again well done for a great looking Hampden example and thanks for giving us photographs and details of your experience building this kit, showing that it can be done very successfully.

Sounds like you're putting a lot of work and dedication into the kit, Northcro.
It's good to hear about real modelling - too many people (not here thankfully) seem to rely on, or expect, all the bells and whistles to be provided, in photo-etch, resin etc., and it's nice to know there are still some of us 'old school' out there!
Love to see some pics of your work, when or if you can.
Terry.

Thanks for the encouragement Terry.

I will post some photographs as I progress with the build which compliment Ian's photographs. I have also purchased a couple of Vector 1/48 Resin Bristol Pegasus engines to replace the resin engines supplied with the kit. This will also prove to be an additional challenge to fit into the existing cowlings!!

I also have the FM Halifax in my stash, but will be building the earlier Tamiya Dam Busters Lanc with modifications first, representing Les Munroe's aircraft AJ-W. I met up with him a couple of weeks ago and had a most interesting 1.5 hours with him relating to his experiences leading up to the raid, his flight during the raid when his Lanc was hit by flak in the rear fuselage by the roundel causing damage forcing him to return back to base, mainly as he could not communicate with any of his crew which was imperative when attempting to bomb the dams plus some of his experiences after the Dam Busters raid while serving in the RAF. A photograph of Les's Lancaster appears on Page 100 101 of the Haynes Lancaster Owners Manual by Jarrod Cotter and Paul Blackah published last year, on a training flight after the raid. It also includes a insignia below the cockpit which Les cannot identify. This did not appear on his aircraft before or during the raid as the aircraft only arrived at the airfield from Avro less than a week before the raid.

Another interesting book just released by Max Arthur - Dambusters - A Landmark Oral History features some conversations with Les, along with other 617 Squadron air and ground crews, German Military defending the dams and civilians. It also being topical that our kiwi producer Peter Jackson is progressing with props and equipment etc for the remake of the Dam Busters movie.

I too am looking forward to seeing the new Tamiya Lanc release even though I have two Tamiya Lanc kits in my stash - the Standard BI/III I intend building in 75 (NZ) Squadron colours and the BI Dam Busters as Les Munroe's Lanc both with the appropriate accessories mods and other scratch built mods which I believe Tamiya have incorporated some in their latest release.

The FM Halifax at first appearances looks just as bad as the Hampden kit, needing considerable work to complete as a plausible representative of such an important subject. I think I will need to recover from the Hampden build first before making a start on the Halifax. I also have the FM Ventura kit which I will finish in RNZAF Pacific markings - not decided which aircraft as yet, but have a decal set for three different RNZAF Venturas. This kit will also need considerable work completed on it. A School mate''s late father flew them in the Islands during attacks on the Japanese occupying Rabaul and other targets in the Solomons, so hope to have a representative of one of the Ventura's he flew.

FM have been the only bold kit manufacturer so far to produce these particular 1/48 subjects which have special signficance relating to RNZAF aircrew flying them in the different WWII theatres of conflict.

David

Interesting stuff David. I'd heard a vague rumour about a remake of the Dam Busters movie - so it's true then? That should be good, as long as there's no really dodgy CGI, as in that stupid 'Pearl harbour' movie! I'm intending doing the new Tamiya Lanc when it comes out, as it's at least 30 years since I built one, for a former aircrew member. I intend doing it as a 625 Sqn aircraft, as I have a bit of a (tenuous) link, having done a painting of a particular Lanc from the Squadron, the prints of which were signed by the surviving crew, one of whom was a good friend. Fortunately, having been in two Lancs, and flown in one of them, I have some good reference shots, albeit on 35mm transparency. I don't know if you've seen it, or if it's still available, but the book from the (British) Channel Four TV series is a good reference source for the Dams Lancs. It's 'The Dambusters', by John Sweetman, David Coward and Gary Johnstone, Time Warner Books, 2003. The reference is:- ISBN 0 316 72618 4
It's interesting about the 'nose art' on Les Munro's aircraft; I have a picture in a book given to me by the authors, a short-run publication through the R.Ae.S, which shows a pic of AJ-O, presumably quite some time after the raid. There is nose art on this aircraft, not very clear, but it looks like some form of cartoon bird. Incidentally, I have the Dams Lancs listed in all my sources a BIII's.
I like the sound of the Ventura, another nrglected subject for kits. A bit of a disaster on ops in Europe, but as you know, did sterling service elsewhere.
Look forward to seeing some pics when you can.
Terry.

Terry you are quite right ED921/G AJ-W is definitely a BIII Special with Merlin 28 engines...keyboard finger problem!

Thanks for the Sweetman Dambuster book reference - Les Munro had a copy with him when I visited. I will try and track down a copy. Les did make comment about the nose art in one of the photographs in that book of the Dambuster Lanc, but it too was not very clear to identify the details. He was certain that too would have been added after the raid and the photograph showing the Lanc on a training flight afterwards. He said that the modified aircraft were only delivered days before the raid and the ground crews just did not have time to do anything else but work exceptionally long hours preparing and testing the aircraft ready for the raid. The air crews were also working hard on very low level training flights all hours day and night around various parts of England, much to the consternation of the population.

Very interested to hear of your personal links with the Lancaster. Being a volunteer back in the late 60's at one of our local museums for over 15 years, I had access to ex Aeronavale Lanc WU-13 NX665 which is now dressed up in 75 (NZ) /101 Squadron colours. I had the opportunity of viewing her inside and out last year again at MOTAT. They have done a magnificent job restoring and displaying her under cover, after being somewhat neglected after I left MOTAT in the late 70's.
Refer MOTAT Aircraft Collection: Avro 683 Lancaster VII

I may take the plunge and do a Ventura MK 1 in 487 (NZ) Squadron colours later on to include in my display the aircraft types that served this New Zealand squadron. As you say the Venturas got a thrashing during ops over Europe - virtually wiping out the squadron as a result of their heavy losses, until they brought Mosquito's into service in the squadron in August 1943 to replace the Venturas. That is another story and will be subject of another 487 (NZ) Squadron model - the Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito FB VI in the future relating the Amiens raid. In the meantime I have made contact with my old school mates family this morning and they have given me permission to call by and view their late father's log books and photographs of aircraft he flew and I believe of the PV1 Ventura's he flew up in the Pacific theatres. They are a couple of hours drive from here so will follow that offer up within the next few weeks.

I will upload photographs as I advance with the various models.

David

I look forward to your pics David, especially anything Mosquito - got a few links there also! I had met some of the Amiens crews, and those that took part in other well known/famous low level raids. I was involved with soemthing for the 50th anniversary of the Shell House raid, and keep in touch, when I can, with those who are still with us.
Cheers for now,
Terry.

Terry what a great opportunity to meet with some of the Amiens raid crews and getting them to relate to their experiences.

We are indeed fortunate to have a fully operational Mosquito FB.VI being restored by Avspecs at Ardmore, in South Auckland just an hours drive south of here. The last time I viewed her was back on December 7 and the restoration was progressing well with the Avspecs team doing a magnificent job. I believe it will ossibly be in the air within the next 12 to 18 months.

I worked on the ex RNZAF MOTAT Museum Mosquito FB.VI for four or five years rebuilding the fuselage back in the 70's so I greatly appreciate its amazing construction, so I will be look forward to completing the Tamiya FB.VI kit in 487 (NZ) Squadron colours. The MOTAT Mosquito restoration to static status is also coming together well with a new set of wings being fitted to the fuselage, so she is now up on her undercarriage and Merlins to be fitted. I will track down some photographs to upload to view which would be useful for fellow forum modellers.
David

Great to hear another Mossie will be back in the air. It was a very sad day when the BAe Mossie crashed at Barton, especially as I had been in her, and knew the crew. It was fortunate for me that I was on holiday at the time, as I was normally on the volunteer Fire Crew for the airshow, and would have been first on the scene. That's one crash I would NOT have wanted to attend.
It'd be great to see some pics; I had a comprehensive set of the above BAe Mossie, when she was undergoing deep service back in the '80's sometime, but they are 'on loan' to a friend in Denmark, whom I have lost touch with!
I was going to get the Airfix 1/24th Mosquito, when it eventually appears, but I spat the dummy out when they raised the price, before release, from £80 to £140 ! I'm just hoping someone will do a 1/32nd scale fighter version - unless I can obtain the Revell BIV for a reasonable price, and convert it.

Still impresses me that you got this one together Ian.....well done indeed!

Thanks Lucky13,

Just been looking at my Hampden today and she still looks as good as she does when i finished her.

I've been looking around and found the place where i originally posted the pictures of the build
if you click on the link then scrowl down a bit you'll see more bad stuff from this crap kit, also on a few more pages too :!:

The Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum :: View topic - ianlanc's workbench/TRAY. lol

ian.

I remember carving pieces out of wood and trying to mate them to plastic.Looks like you did a least that much work here.Excellent, especially with what you had to work with.
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back