for the majority of mixed media kits which zap a gap do I need

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TimEwers

Airman 1st Class
Aug 28, 2010
The french fighter and yak 23 both have resin and photo etch parts.

So I was wondering which kind of zap a gap to get, Never really used any so I don't know which kind to get.

Hey, Tim,
I tend to use Gorilla Glue for most of my PE. I have not yet tried it with resin. Now, Gorilla Glue is kinda like Elmer's white glue on steroids. I like it, but it does take a few minutes to setup and then about 30 minutes to dry. CA can be a royal pain in the arse IMO. If you are going to use CA, I would recommend the medium stuff, takes about 15 secs to setup. I rarely use CA and when I do, it always the medium stuff. If I need it to setup faster, I use a CA accellerant that instantly sets up the CA.
Dale

If you mean the kind of glue for assembling of resin kits and PE parts ... it is the same CA one. However the CA glue might be of the gel consistency. The kind of the CA adhesive will give you some more of time for setting all pieces at the correct position before getting hardened. Also an epoxy one can be useful.

I like to use Gator glue for the reasons Dale pointed out. Another reason I like Gator glue is that it hasn't gone hard in the bottle on me. I've had a 20g/.71oz bottle for almost 2 years, I could barely get 9 months out of Zap-a-Gap.

Geo

Hey, Tim,
I tend to use Gorilla Glue for most of my PE. I have not yet tried it with resin. Now, Gorilla Glue is kinda like Elmer's white glue on steroids. I like it, but it does take a few minutes to setup and then about 30 minutes to dry. CA can be a royal pain in the arse IMO. If you are going to use CA, I would recommend the medium stuff, takes about 15 secs to setup. I rarely use CA and when I do, it always the medium stuff. If I need it to setup faster, I use a CA accellerant that instantly sets up the CA.
Dale

Dale,

How do you account for the expansion? Every time I have used GG it expands quite a bit when it leaves the bottle. Is there a type of GG that doesn't do this?

Jim

Hey, Vic,
Well, I have not noticed an expansion. However, I tend to use a toothpick to apply just the amount I need to use. I'll get the brand off the label when I get home. The bottle is similar to the same style bottle used for MicroSol.
Dale

Dale,

Oh damn! The one I have is about the size of a soda can and is brown. Sounds like different stuff, or the fact you use so little and don't notice any expansion. Still if you could post a pic of the bottle...please

The Gorilla Glue I have does the same thing, brown and foams up and expands. Used it to glue a broken life-sized concrete statue of a squirrel back together and it oozed all over the place. I wouldn't even think of using that stuff on a model. Must be different stuff for a different application.

Here you go Capt. Vick. One for the modelers south of the border and one for the rest of the world. :p I put a small dab of glue on some wax paper and transfer it to the part with a toothpick.

004.JPG
005.JPG

Geo

Here is a pic of the glue I use. Sorry, it is not Gorilla Glue. It is Gator's Grip Hobby Glue. How many more names do we need?
IMG_5935.JPG

Dale

Vick,
I like the gator glue. I use it for most PE and all my canopy glass. It dries nice and clear and good strength.
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back