Fort Mott, New Jersey

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
When Marcel came to visit the United States this week, he and I were discussing places to see. Because he has an interest in gun emplacements and pillbox type sites, I suggested Fort Mott as a good place to explore. And so we did!

Here is a Wiki link about Fort Mott and an aerial pic showing the gun emplacements.

Fort Mott (New Jersey) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fort Mott was part of a three-fort defense system designed for the Delaware River during the postbellum modernization period following the American Civil War. The other two forts in the system were Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island and Fort DuPont in Delaware City, Delaware. They are connected by the Three Forts Ferry Crossing.

map001.jpg

and a pic pf Marcel and I on our way to the fort!

9986_10200479302858137_997928253_n.jpg

There were many out-buildings including an observation tower and a separate magazine building to keep the powder dry. Because the main emplacements were built underground, there is a lot of water seepage and keeping dry was a priority.

visit 005.jpg
visit 009.jpg
visit 017.jpg
visit 018.jpg
visit 019.jpg
visit 020.jpg
visit 021.jpg
visit 022.jpg

On the grounds were found a few relics of WWII. It seems that they hold WWII re-enactments here from time to time. We found a row of ambulance trucks under restoration and this AA gun.

All in all a very good day and great company!

558870_10200479302418126_1582229851_n.jpg

Very cool! Third photo down in post #2 is enough to scare away any invaders! :lol:

We had to wait until he left so we could check things out. Pain in the..... Everything smelled like urine after he left!

Great field trip, I don't remember the gates when I saw it back in the '80's.

Insurance costs will do that every time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back