Fully tracked APCs for ww2: not worth it; or, why they didn't think of those?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Try googling " machine gun bicycles " images and see what you get :)

I bet a squad of these vs. a squad of mg wagons would be a very interesting spectacle.

armed_bikes_1.jpg

home-guard-bicycle.jpg

1851.png
3825428595_616bbf1111_z.jpg

machinegun.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure that there was one country that developed a motorbike with an anti-tank rifle and armour. The idea was that you would stop the bike and take cover behind it and use the rifle. Very unstable I believe.

I'm sure I've seen pictures but can't remember where.

From Wiki -
The Type 1 Ho-Ki had an unusual silhouette, in that the driver's cab did not reach across the front of the hull, but stopped short about mid-way across the center line. Only one driver was required (although two were typically employed), who manipulated the left and right movement of the tracks via a pair of tiny steering wheels. Transport capacity was about thirteen men, and the maximum armor thickness was 6 mm.[3]

As the Type 1 Ho-Ki had been designed to pull artillery as well as to carry infantry, it had no rear exit hatch, it was felt that the towed weapon might interfere with the rapid exit of any onboard riflemen. Entry and exit of troops was thus accomplished from the left (driver's) side via three doors mounted side by side.[1]

The engine, which was located at the right front of the body, was a 6-cylinder, in-line, valve-in-head, air-cooled diesel.[4]

The Type 1 Ho-Ki was not normally armed, but provision was made to mount a machine gun to the rear of the driver. The Type 92 Heavy Machine Gun carried by Japanese infantry squads could be mounted in this position. Although it was an APC, it was often called a halftrack.

The circa ~1937 jungle busting APC cruiser from Tim Tyler's Luck serial (later seen on early TV)

Notcie the sloped frontal armor proving that Hollywood was far advanced over german armored theorists. :lol:

Attachments

• wayne_junglecruiser_54.jpg
    wayne_junglecruiser_54.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
German armored cars like the 6-wheel Sd. Kfz. 231 always had sloped/angled armor. Something the tank designers did not understand or didn't see as necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back