Fun day at the office...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
These were all on one flight. This was the final Quiet Birdmen show in Camarillo. We also had the privilege of being the last airplane to fly over the ranch for the last one, after 40 years,

Attachments

• DSC_5481.jpg
    DSC_5481.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_5501.jpg
    DSC_5501.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_5603.jpg
    DSC_5603.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC_5612.jpg
    DSC_5612.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_5629.jpg
    DSC_5629.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC_5637.jpg
    DSC_5637.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_5652.jpg
    DSC_5652.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC_5679.jpg
    DSC_5679.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC_5744.jpg
    DSC_5744.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC_5775.jpg
    DSC_5775.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 255
Stunning as ever.

Noted the Bearcat trundling along in first gear with the flaps dangling trying to keep down with the photoship ! what where you in ?.

Cheers guys. We were in an SNJ-5 at climb power. The Bearcat can go that slow, but it's nose high and doesn't quite look right. It was three hours orbiting just southeast of the Conejo grade, so it was a long left turn.

I have to say though, this was really an awesome experience. I lowered the camera for a quick adjustment and looked up at that Bearcat right next to us and I got giddy. I haven't had that happen in a long time. But when you can hear that big radial over the one in the SNJ, and see that airplane almost close enough to touch, its an image that will be forever burned in my mind as a moment I will never forget.

Cheers guys, the yellow one with the Mustang similarities is a Turbine Legend. It's a beauty! The gray one is a replica of a 1930s air racer "Mr Mulligan". It is based on a Howard DGA-15. Having the Legend fly with it was quite an interesting formation.

Thanks Eric. That Turbine Legend is a beautiful aircraft - could have chosen a better name though, in the UK it would immediately be dubbed ' Leg End'!!

A short bit of history on the AMAZING Mr. Mulligan.

In 1935 at the Thompson Trophy air race an unusual airplane stunned them all. In an era when a 15 mile pylon racer was a small, slim, sleek one-seater, here comes Benny Howard with a FOUR SEAT, high wing CABIN monoplane. The plane had already won the Bendix Trophy, up against other big cross-country planes such as the Lockheed Vega, Lockheed Orion and the Northrup Gamma. At the start of the Bendix race a sparkplug was fouled for the first few laps, after it cleared Mr. Mulligan showed his stuff and passed everybody but the leader, Roscoe Turner in a Wedell-Williams. When Roscoe dropped out with engine failure Mr Mulligan won becoming the first and only plane to win both major US air races in the same year.
The original Mr. Mulligan was lost in the 1936 Bendix race, piloted by Benny with his wife as co-pilot, when it shed a prop and crashed. Both pilot and co-pilot survived.

There is an old Hawk/Testors kit of the Mr. Mulligan in 1/48.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back