Future of kit building?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airfix is still kicking owned by Hornby model trains now.

As far as diecast planes go I think that prices are very compareable to kits and who wants to stuff up an expensive kit?

I've got one or two but I overall get much more pleasure out of kits.

I dunno whether the 'challenge' has been lost as such. The new kits are superb in mouldings and the level of standard in competitions now are quite amazing. So i guess the level of 'detail' has been made harder than the actual construction.

Theres another thing a lot of people lack today and satisfaction from doing things themselves, everythings bought or pre packaged and has no connection to the person.

So Heinz, if I understand your post you're saying that because of all the detailing already in the kits, the playing field has been leveled material wise so the edge is gained by the artistic level of achievement alone. True? If that's correct then I think that's great. Let he with the better eye and attention to detail win!

Yes exactly!!!
Dragon includes resin and photo etch parts as almost stock stuff now and as prices go they keep it down fairly well.

oh and well done understanding my terribly constructed sentence Dougrd!:)

Doug you hit the nail on the head! I sometimes go down to the Dollar store, buy a Starfix model of a Bf 109 or Spit and try to improve. Its fun. And does make one sharper in his skills. And if you mess up, who cares! It only cost a dollar!

Diecast are nice. I have a few but they make me laugh sometimes. Just picked up a Fw 190 thats set up for a Jabo but has the markings of a fighter outfit.

Njaco another reason I dont really collect the diecast like most things they aren;t accurate.

I do agree about the older kits though they are fun! I look for the reissues by Airfix that a pretty old. Not as easy on the wallet as they were..........

When I go to the flying field I see a load of ARF's and RTF's and few kit builds. The average kit build is no match for detail of the ARF. However the quality inside that really counts in not there. The typical "I ain't got it" comes when the bulkhead holding the battery comes loose because there was little or no glue on it and unplugs the battery wires is all too common.

The landing gear gets torn out on an easy landing. Take a look... mounted on balsa and little glue, no bracing.

Take a look at the kit build. Nice quality fit, secure gluing, covering that is nicely trimmed and attached. Radio is installed solidly, good pushrods. The motor is mounted on good mounts and the firewall is securedly attached. Good ground and range test. A happy flyer after a day's flying.

Also look around. Not many young kids hanging over an older mentor. Or maybe a few that either bought a flying plane and system or it was given to them. Little knowledge of what it take to make it last.

Even my own kids had no interest in building. After a big crash..."let's just go to the hobby shop and buy a new plane". Maybe a kit but no ARF or ready to fly. "Naah, we want to fly today not next fall". "Why do you spend so much time down here when you could be out flying.?" Because I enjoy building and flying. "Boring." So they play video games. Not even the R/C flight simulator. "There's no combat or guns on it" is the comment I get. It seems like "right now" are the only words that mean anything except when applied to doing chores. haha

I don't know what the answer is. Times were a lot different when I was growing up (?) You had to amuse yourself for long times. Never knew what "bored" meant untill I went to school and had it on a dictionary test.

rant.

As a youngster I use to build balsa and paper kits. I remember some beauties,
the Art Chester Racer, Stinsons, Piper's with floats, Beech Staggerwing, and
a lot more. I wish I had a nickle for every tube of Testors glue that went
through my fingers (without sniffing it). The last unit I built was a Spitfire.
Got the plans from Mechanics Illustrated. The last I saw of it was when the
packer's packed everything for a change of station move. When we got to
San Diego, the plane was "among the missing". Their adjuster said it was
worth $24.00 and that's what they paid for the loss. But, oh.... I have
fond memories of those rubber powered airplanes !

Charles

Also look around. Not many young kids hanging over an older mentor. Or maybe a few that either bought a flying plane and system or it was given to them. Little knowledge of what it take to make it last.
Even my own kids had no interest in building. After a big crash..."let's just go to the hobby shop and buy a new plane". Maybe a kit but no ARF or ready to fly. "Naah, we want to fly today not next fall". "Why do you spend so much time down here when you could be out flying.?" It seems like "right now" are the only words that mean anything except when applied to doing chores. hahaI don't know what the answer is. Times were a lot different when I was growing up (?) You had to amuse yourself for long times. Never knew what "bored" meant untill I went to school and had it on a dictionary test.
Here we go! Press a button and BAM!! instant gratification. No work, no thought processes and absolutely no effort or strain. I don't know where to point a finger but a lot of kids over the last decade or longer have come down with this attitude and I've personally seen what happens when they hit high school and even college. " I want to be a CEO but why do I have to work my way up the corporate ladder like past generations had to. They should retire so I can make big bucks now." Where does this attitude start? Any ideas guys?

Hey Cheese, you want another? I got one I'll give to you.
Heres what I got:

Fairchild 24 - (? scale) Easybuilt Models; appears complete.
F6F Hellcat - wngspn 16 1/2in Guillow's; model has been started but everything appears to be there.
Aeronca K Floatplane - wngspn 25in Comet; Model appears complete.
Seversky P-35 - 1/48 Gene Dubois Models; appears complete.

I think the floatplane is rubberband propeller. Well, one of those kits are. Inherited from my father and I have NO idea how to build them. Just wasting away here.

Airfix making is certainly dying out. I am 16, yet virtually no one who makes airfix kits in a school of 800 in England. The only other teens that do airfix were persuaded by ove rkeen parents who wanted to go back into their past. So unfortuantly, airfix is not getting any new families involved.

Airfix is unpopular due to:

Teens having lots of spare cash, but spending it on more expensive items such as games consoles. Teens spend because they can, not because it is sensible to spend £50 on a Nintendo DS game.

Most teens have very little patience to build airfix and even if they do, prefer to buy warhammer, readily available as it is a game too, rather than something that collects dust.

The only way that the future of airfix will be secured is by doing more cars as about 80% of boys love cars the most, not planes.......... Also, if airfix is turned more into a wargame or in some way a form of battle or game.

I can related d_bader my school is about 1800kids in total and in my 6 years there I've only see one kit box in a school bag and that was a few months ago.

If some of the history styled war games came with a kit that could improve the numbers of people interested but I don't know. its very hard as you pointed out with a society that is so impatient with life.

The car idea is good but over in Australia the attitude would be why not just get a real car to work on.

Hopefully something resurges the interest.

I really believe that the biggest problem with model kits is the price. But....
I also believe today's youngsters don't have time to sit for hours to put a
model together. They have too may other things to do.

You gotta remember...... when I was a youngster TV had not been invented
yet ! We didn't have TV til 1945. Oh, of course, we had radio....Bing Crosby,
Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller...... I remember it well. Now what have you got ?
The Lovin' Spoonful ? Three Dog Night ?

I guess times have changed....... no one has time for the "little" things anymore.

Charles

Sadly, I am one of two people in my group of friends that actually does real model making anymore. I can confirm all these reports of money being spent elsewhere, and kids longing for easy builds. My last project took me somewhere in the order of 3 weeks on and off to complete, simply because the thing had an internal frame that was frustrating to put together, not to mention the actual exterior work.

Cheese I tell my kids about B&W TV with 3 channels and rotary dial phones and they look at me real strange! We had dishwashers...that went to school from 8 to 3pm! Text messaging meant reading a letter from Grandma. And we could always get a microwave going with a few sticks and a match. :rolleyes:

Hey guys, the models of today are certainly far superior in quality and content and that comes with a higher price tag. Even though there are plenty of cheaper kits out there for quick builds it still takes time and patience to build up a good kit no matter what the quality. Todays kids (many of them) don't want to sit down and spend the time building kits, when there are other better instant distractions that will satisfy them, computer games! They will spend many hours in a trance like state staring at the TV screen with console in hand. Price is not necessarily the problem either as they will spend lots of $$ on games too. Sadly when given the choices of model kit building or computer games or other pursuits,I'm afraid it becomes obvious that the influx of new modellers is going to remain small, sadly.....and then there will be a new distraction....girlfriends!

Another problem with airfix is the types of planes you can build. For me, WW2 appeals, a sI am quite keen in that era. However, many people in my year are far more interested in modern jet planes, which there seem to be fewer of.

Teens my age no longer find the past interesting and have to have the newest gadgets, phones, consoles, computers, so don't care for the older planes and justw ant a eurofighter typhoon.

I agree that the price is not necessarily the problem either, as teens do spend extortionate amounts of money on consoles and games. However this is unfortuantly because teens just want to impress each other, and having the latest gadget etc, has far more credibility than having the newest airfix kit as airfix is seen as "uncool".

I do enjoy making models, perhaps I'm the only kid at school that does, but sometimes I don't think I have the patience:lol:

That D.F. is part of modelling, it teaches you patience along with dexterity, planning, forethought and perseverence and goal setting. I, for example, (and this is not some sort ego trip) am an aircraft mechanic by trade or as I like to think of it, I get to play with the 1:1 scale stuff. :) Anyway a lot of times during my career I've been asked to do some task that my bosses know is difficult or requires a craftmans touch (READ artsy-fartsy) is tedious and easily frustrates many of my co-workers. I just finished one of these matter of fact. Why did they pick me? Because they know I have the "Touch". What is "The Touch" The patience and craft skills I learned from modelling, that's all. So hang in there and enjoy the challenges and end results. That's what modelling is all about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back