Future of kit building?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I once got so pissed off against a 1/48 ICM Spitfire that I threw it against the concrete wall... I must say for my own defence that the plane was already pretty screwed up, so doing that only "finished" the job. :toothy5:

Same , I snapped a lancaster's fusalsage in half but that was stuffed too so I understand very well what ya mean

should start a thread "Most damage done while under the influence of modeling"

Think there'd be some interesting stories out there

Strictly speaking
not inflicted by myself but a 1/32 Naval Beaufighter got into a dogfight...

...with a vacuum cleaner. The (female) pilot of the vacuum cleaner demonstrated remarkable piloting skills and a cool head under combat conditions.

The Beau did make it back to base but was written off.

That sounds like bad luck mate! I presume the female pilot of the Hoover FBXIa was told the error of her ways? Or was that pushing your luck with She Who Must Be Obeyed?!!!

That sounds like bad luck mate! I presume the female pilot of the Hoover FBXIa was told the error of her ways? Or was that pushing your luck with She Who Must Be Obeyed?!!!
It was an old girlfriend
I gave her plenty of reason to believe I was narked.
I told her it was only parked at dispersal temporarily (actually, I think I said something about it only being on the carpet for a short while) and for that reason, carrying out a strafing run in a heavily-armed vacuum cleaner was unsporting without formally declaring hostilities (actually, I think I said something about it being a 32nd scale Beau, how big did it need to be for her to see it?).
She retorted that if it hadn't been parked there, she couldn't have strafed it (actually, I think she said something about keeping it off the carpet where she couldn't collide with it) to which I casually pointed out that the coffee table seems to spend most of its life at dispersal (on the carpet) and not once had I seen her strafe that.

Jeezuz, I can't believe that was 12 years ago.

Hey BigZ,

I also build 3D models for Combat Flight Simulator. I wonder if they would translate to a 3D plastic model. The format is a little weird. It is for Aircraft Factory 99.

I have a couple shots on this page.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/cfs-i-ii-iii/screenshots-2737-6.html

- Ivan.
Nice models. The Savoia Marchetti S.79 looks like it has the 3 mouse markings of the record version under the camo?

What format can you export the models? CNC is very much dependant on the Software. Most if not all will support STL. But various other formats can be used.

Ivan I know next to nothng on models used in games and correct me if am wrong. But from what I have seen they tend to be made using polygons. Usually with a low polygon count. A CNC will machine it but because it has so few polygons used to make a game run at a decent rate(textures distract your eye) the model will look very basic.

Hello BigZ,

Most of the models on that page are not mine. The SM 79 is not mine. Look for the single mesage from Ivan1GFP.

Polygon count for my models is limited at 1200. Most of the time I finish at around 1000-1100, but that includes conditional display stuff like landing gear, flaps, etc. It also includes possibly duplicated polygons to avoid bleeds, so the actual polygons used for CNC / 3D printing would probably be more like 800-1000. That is actually quite a low number.

- Ivan.

I am quite young and I have noticed its more popular in Europe and Austrailia then the states.. Prices kill me, but I think its worth it if you enjoy it. My terms: $60 video game for ps3 that lasts 10 hours in story mode and its over ( unless it has multiplayer ). Build 4 $15 models and you get to keep them forever and admire them and spend way more than 10 hours if you are true about getting it right. Modeling is sometimes frustrating, but I find a switch between vehicle and miniature the perfect cure..

got my son a 172 spitfire to try encourage him away from the XBox he wants to start on saturday so i will let you know how that goes
have a feeling i will end up building it and i hate the spitfire lol

:lol: Well I have an xbox which I play, but homework then modeling.

My dad said he is happy to see atleast someone builds model planes like him when he was a kid. My friends come over and are amazed with the tools, paints, unbuilt kits and they say," Oh I want to try." but of course, they never do. There is one boy in my grade who has a 1/48 F-14D Tomcat in his closest and all I think is ugh..... what a waste.

Like Njaco said in the beginning, the states are making a comeback..

Last edited:
Well for me what ever happends i hope that a few hundred humans still have interest in kit making

Edwina here, loves to build german aircraft the only thing she only want to do them on the floor... why i dont know?

Attachments

• ed1.jpg
    ed1.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
You forget how agile you used to be when you were a kid
I couldn't hold that position for long now, my shoulder would be dead and I'd have pins and needles in my elbow after 15 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back