Future of kit building?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That D.F. is part of modelling, it teaches you patience along with dexterity, planning, forethought and perseverence and goal setting. I, for example, (and this is not some sort ego trip) am an aircraft mechanic by trade or as I like to think of it, I get to play with the 1:1 scale stuff. :) Anyway a lot of times during my career I've been asked to do some task that my bosses know is difficult or requires a craftmans touch (READ artsy-fartsy) is tedious and easily frustrates many of my co-workers. I just finished one of these matter of fact. Why did they pick me? Because they know I have the "Touch". What is "The Touch" The patience and craft skills I learned from modelling, that's all. So hang in there and enjoy the challenges and end results. That's what modelling is all about!

I don't think money is really the problem--you people are forgetting to account for a factor which would otherwise go under 'politics'--the (always) government-created inflation. When I was young, and airfix was introducing their line of 1/72 plane kits her in the colonies, I could get a bottle of Coca-cola for the exchange of 1/10 of an ounce of silver, or 1/320 oz. of gold--troy wt., of course. If you average the two together, today, you get about $1, for which you can buy 1 can of Coke at most stores. About a buck. The Revel Lancaster 'dam buster' cost $2 in those days, the Hasegawa in the same scale is about $45 today, but it's way more than twice the kit. The very same Hawk SNJ kit I paid $.49 for as a kid, with better decals--and choice of color schemes--I recently picked up at a major retailer for $4.50--In real money, a slight reduction. Real problem? I don't know--heck, judging from the proliferation of Chinese kit manufacturers, I'm not sure there actually is one!--but I'd offer a few sugestions:

Availability--I used to be able to go into any supermarket and find one or two good kits. That might not sound like much, but there were a lot of supermarkets.

Expectations--If a kid goes up to an adult who actually models, he's likely as not to be subject to the kind of scrutiny that used to be reserved for IPMS Nationals. (And much I've seen is often at least partly wrong; i.g.: one case where a kid was faulted for using the kit decals on a Sabre because they had the "USAF" in insignia blue, instead of black. It happens that I've seen the plane in question, and it was painted in insignia blue!

And number one on my hit list:
Fun--With so much nit-picking, and factioning--why should someone else care if I model a B-49 E as it appeared during the successful "Linebacker III" campaign in 1976, causing thre Viet Minh to surrender to the Republic of Viet Nam (hey, it's my fantasy, which is the point, really), or a kit-bashed P-51 E (bubble canopy, Allison engine, cranked wing, 4x20mm + 4 bombs, mainly for the RAF) or even a canard configuration pusher Mustang? News flash for some: Unless you actually work for a museum--or a modeling magazine!-- or Hollywood--IT'S A HOBBY! I mean, if working on the interior of a model for 3 years getting every last detail floats your boat, fine, I'm happy for you. But if it doesn't work for you--DON'T DO IT!

Relax. Enjoy. Have fun....

pgf

Relax. Enjoy. Have fun....
Thats it, thats it, thats it!!!!!!

Fun is the word that must be printed at the top of all instructions! Last week I had my kids for a time. One night got my 8yr son and 11yr daughter to sit down and we grabbed some models from my extensive collection. :rolleyes: He chose a 1/48 Mustang and she a 1/48 Seafire. Well, the glue changed the aerodynamics of the planes, the paint looked like Tammy Faye (God rest her soul) and the decals portrayed the Nippon-Aussie-Dutch Air Force! But it was FUN! I cringed here and there but got over it and thought they gotta have fun first and nit-picking later.

Just another thought: With oil and such, is plastic availability being felt in the industry?

Plastic being a by product thats something I though about too Njcao but I sorta doubt its gunna make an impact at all.

AS for pgf_666 you sir have summed up all to well what my thoughts were.
I was part of club but found between party polictics and general nit picking I didn't have the enerygy or interest. I saw other young people come and go because of it..

Thats it, thats it, thats it!!!!!!

Fun is the word that must be printed at the top of all instructions! Last week I had my kids for a time. One night got my 8yr son and 11yr daughter to sit down and we grabbed some models from my extensive collection. :rolleyes: He chose a 1/48 Mustang and she a 1/48 Seafire. Well, the glue changed the aerodynamics of the planes, the paint looked like Tammy Faye (God rest her soul) and the decals portrayed the Nippon-Aussie-Dutch Air Force! But it was FUN! I cringed here and there but got over it and thought they gotta have fun first and nit-picking later.

I totally agree with you, but I think it depends on the kid. I've got three boys (yeah, there's a lot of testosterone in my house; even my two dogs are males!), and my oldest one has zero interest in building models. However, my middle son can't stay out of my room, and can't stop bugging me about building (another) model (he's already built one I gave him, but he keeps wanting to paint it differently). He's in there every day pulling models down off the shelf and opening the boxes and trying to figure out how they go together, so that's encouraging. Now I just need some time!

pgf_666 You just hit on another of my pet peeves. The IPMS started out as a vehicle to promote the hobby but the "rivet counters" as you mentioned spoiled it for a lot of people. That was back in the '70's and I'll bet it hasn't changed much.

pgf_666 You just hit on another of my pet peeves. The IPMS started out as a vehicle to promote the hobby but the "rivet counters" as you mentioned spoiled it for a lot of people. That was back in the '70's and I'll bet it hasn't changed much.

No, it hasn't; if anything, it's gotten worse. They've taken all the fun out of building. Now it's a bunch of experten "counting rivets", as you said, and nit-picking.

Agreed, I like mine to look good and reasonably accurate but if you're making sure that every single rivet and drop of paint is exact it's not a hobby anymore- it's an obsession (or you're addicted to the smell of the glue :lol: ).

I still have a few tubes of that laying around.....................

" why is your spitfire kermit the frog green "

" cause its cool man........."

:lol:

No, it hasn't; if anything, it's gotten worse. They've taken all the fun out of building. Now it's a bunch of experten "counting rivets", as you said, and nit-picking.

Believe it or not, but I remember reading an article in Scale Modeller about scale paint thickness! 1/32 scale a/c should have paint xx mils thick and 1/48 should be... Give me a Bloody break!!! I doubt some of these clowns ever touched a real aircraft. Paint thickness? Hell, when I worked at Northwest Airlines we did a lot of exterior painting touch up (say several square yards worth) with a paint roller and a drip pan! And you should have seen the runs!!! If I ever painted a model like that I would have slapped myself.:D

:lol: for sure Doug,

I mean they get so precise with paint diagrams and markings but seriously these planes were a) in battle and b) made on a rushed assembly line.

I could just see fighter command in the Battle of britain saying

" sorry chaps cant fly this spit today, the camoflague isn't quite right. Jerry will have a good chortle and we cant have that!"

" why is your spitfire kermit the frog green "

" cause its cool man........."

Heinz you crack me up... good one!

Well there is one suitable word that sums up those "Rivett counters and Colour Police" who would spoil it for everyone....WANKERS!!!

Unfortunately I see the same thing happening in my hobby with radio controlled planes. everyone wants the prefabbed kits that really don't take any assembly time at all. They all have the same excuse that they don't have time but that's crap. People may not be able to manage there time but if you have the desire then you can always make some available. I will say it is getting harder to get kids involved with all the video gaming that's taking place but we as a group need to keep trying.

Unfortunately I see the same thing happening in my hobby with radio controlled planes. everyone wants the prefabbed kits that really don't take any assembly time at all. They all have the same excuse that they don't have time but that's crap. People may not be able to manage there time but if you have the desire then you can always make some available. I will say it is getting harder to get kids involved with all the video gaming that's taking place but we as a group need to keep trying.

I agree 100%!! We need to keep trying. I feel the same way about aviation in general. Every time someone brings a kid into the hangar to look at the airplanes I always try to give them a tour and answer questions. I figure if I can "infect" just one kid with the same facination I have then I'll die happy.

Thats a great attitude Doug!

It strikes me funny sometimes when I'm at something aircraft related or hobby related and not that Im expecting special treatment but I get a real cold response to questions, that does not encourage people to 'join' if you like these hobbies. I guess I'm talking about the Rivet Counters........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back