FW 190 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Adaing1976

Airman
Nov 19, 2008
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for images of the FW190' gunbay and I really hope that a good Samaritan can help me!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ciao

I need A6 and both wing and fuselage gunbay

all I have is this at the moment.....

Attachments

• fw190A6001.jpg
    fw190A6001.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 310
Thanks Niaco beautiful image but sfortunately it is not enough for my task, I hope to find some images of the inside details of the fuselage and wings root gunbays.
Something like the one below but referred to the MG 151 installation.

P.S.: this beatiful image cames from this website!! Many many thanks to the kind provider!!

Attachments

• mg131v5ph1.jpg
    mg131v5ph1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 309
Hi,

Included a photo of the wing root gunbay of the left wing of a A-8 of JG 54 which we excavated some time ago. If you need more pics of both gun bays please let me know....Don't know if these are helpfull for you since you are looking for A-6 info.

cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• detail vleugel_small.jpg
    detail vleugel_small.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 241
  • vleugel pannerden gekanteld_small.jpg
    vleugel pannerden gekanteld_small.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 250
This 190 crashed during operation Market Garden. The identity of this a/c is still under investigation. It crashed in a shallow flight path, hitting a dyke destroying the majority of the a/c, creating a debris field in which we found many small and bigger parts, including instruments, armament and many more things. Engine and nose section, the left wing and some cockpit remains came to a rest close to a large tank ditch where they were dumped in after the war had ended. So what remains are a BMW 801 engine, major cowling parts, some cockpit parts including the pilots seat and the almost intact left wing, which was the only large part which was almost intact. All the parts were well preserved and 90% of the wings paint was still present.

I will make some new photo's and post them next weekend.

Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• onderzijde vleugel Pannerden_small.jpg
    onderzijde vleugel Pannerden_small.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Fw190_seat_small.jpg
    Fw190_seat_small.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 223
  • detail landingspoot Pannerden.jpg
    detail landingspoot Pannerden.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 221
  • detail vleugel1_small.jpg
    detail vleugel1_small.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Balkenkruis vleugel_small.jpg
    Balkenkruis vleugel_small.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Hello Sander,
very interesting. Do you know more about the identity of this aircraft ??

On my informations during the Battle for Arnhem ( OP Market Garden) some Fw 190 came down and all these aircrafts and pilots are stll MIA :

18/09/44 Gefr. Werner Kees 2./JG 11 Fw 190 A-8 (175129)
Black 3 Combat with P-47,
SE of Eindhoven

19/09/44 Gefr. Richard Fermes 3./JG 11 Fw 190 A-8 (173849)
Yellow 10 Combatt with fighter,
USSW, Arnhem

25/09/44 Gefr. Gerhard Mellen 2./JG 11 Fw 190 A-8 (171595)
Black 2 AA fire,
area of Nijmegen

28/09/44 Uffz. Alfons Distelmeier 3./JG 11 Fw 190 A-8 (173038 )
Yellow 13 Near Arnhem - Nijmegen

29/09/44 Uffz. Walter Schmitt 11./JG 11 Fw 190 A-8 (732113)
Black 5 + | Combat with fighter,
near Arnhem

29/09/44 Gefr. Heinz Schweickhardt 11./JG 11 Fw 190 A-8 (732056)
Black 2 + | Combat with fighter,
near Arnhem

19/09/44 Ofhr. Klaus Knappmann 6./JG 26 Fw 190 A-8 (732050)
Black 9 During a straffing
Near Arnhem

27/09/44 Uffz. Valentin Baier 8./JG 26 Fw 190 A-8 (173014)
Blue 3 Combat with Spitfire
Near Arnhem

thanks in advance

Thomas

Hi Thomas,
It is a 190 of IV./JG54 and crashed on September 26, 1944. We know that the pilot was KIA and is still MIA. According to 3 independent eyewitness accounts the pilot was buried beside a small dirt road. One of the eyewitnesses did remeber his name which was written on a a/c part marking the grave. At some point the marker was gone and he could not remember if the pilot was reburied on a local graveyard. Archive research learned that for this pilot there is no known first grave location. The Verlustmeldung indicates that he was MIA after return of his flight. Because we didn't found the a/c serialno we can not confirm the story of the eyewitness. We did carry out research with ground penetrating radar at the location of the presumed grave but didn't have any results. Untill we can confirm and are absolutly 100% sure about the identity we can not publish this name.
We are investigating with all means and sources we have available!

kind regards,
Sander

Last edited:
Hello Sanders,
maybe you can stop your search. In the losslist for IV./JG 54 we have on candidate :

Uffz, Fritz Altendorf, 13./JG 54, flying a Fw 190 A-8 WKNr. 732095,listed as KIA, between Nimwegen and Arnhem, PlanQuadrat 52 25 )

greets Thomas

your positive about a JG 54 A/C ? it should at this stage have an all blue Rumpfband behind the Balkenkreuz

good luck with your searches Sander and your team with much success.

E ~

Hi Thomas and Erich,

Thomas, you are spot on! That is the name the eyewitness told us. We were extremely suprised when he mentioned it out of the blue!
But again we didn't find the serial and also nothing such as the reichsverteidigungsband which could prove the identity. We are planning a new research at the site as soon as the weather clears up a little bit and we are looking at every recovered part again and again for the serialno.

Included is a photo of the engine being recovered. I will post some more photo's later this weekend.

Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• BMW801_FA_small.jpg
    BMW801_FA_small.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 131
Hello Sander,
good that i could help you a bit.
For the missing RD-Band some answers are possible. At first this aircraft was manufactured by AGO in Oschersleben in August 1944, and maybe it was forgotten to apply the the RD-Band through transition from the Company to Fliegerüberführungsgeschwader to the combat unit.
For me a better solution of lacking the RD Band could be that the RD band was primarily introduced to the Jagdgeschwader in Reichsgebiet. E.g. we have no evidences for examples for JG 26 in the same time period and the IV./JG 54 becamelater part of the JG 26, so maybe they copied this " tradition" or this esprit du corps of JG 26.

greets

Thomas

well the theory does not work for JG 54 Rumpfbands, the III.gruppe had them applied on their 109G-6's and later their Fw 190A-8's in Normandy so JG 54 in the west was quite aware of the orders of application of this band for Reich ID, nothing to do with JG 26 whatsoever. Let me also add along with the blue band a welle ~ may or may not have been added on the band. When IV./JG 54 was refitted with Fw 190A's on the Ost front the band was removed and the ~ was standard, this through photos.

Last edited:
Hi,
We didn't found anything related to the aft part of the fuselage and tail section. Among the finds in the debris field which was as long as 300 meters! was the left wing tip and parts of the lower armour plating of the engine cowling with yellow paint.

Included is a photo of the wing which clearly shows the RLM colours. I didn't had time to go to our storage for some new shots of the wing and the gun bays...sorry! Hope to do that sometime coming week.

Regards,
Sander

Attachments

• FW 190_P_small.jpg
    FW 190_P_small.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread

Back