Fw better then Me-262?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd rather fight in FW-190D than in a Me-262. I think that I'd have a better chance of survival...
It was too much of "will it run" with 262's engines compared to FW-190's.
It would have been different if the 262 had been that good that they wouldn't have needed the Papagei staffel...
AINRING-bw.gif

Yes, the lag in response of the jet engines required a longer approach at landing and required more time to build up speed at take off.

It would not be a real problem in normal situation, for the 262 was a problem because of the catastrophic situation of Germany.

Definitely, to minimize the risk to be strafed on landing you should fly a Fieseler Storch :)

But dangerous unreliability is in general valid for every new engine or new aircraft.

For instance the Hawker Typhoon was not safer than the 262 or P80 in her first year of service, her over-complicated Sabre engine was rushed in production before the youth problems were solved and the aircraft was also prone to structural failure (the resonance of the elevator counterbalance was breaking the tail)
And the 190 itself had a nasty tendency to roast in her first service variant, while the 109F1 was breaking her tail too and had to be quickly fixed on field before the weakness could be cured in production.

At least in the 262 all you had to do was 'just' replace the engines in good time...

btw, I recall a video where an US pilot (maybe Strobell?) said that the change of the Jumo004 was done in less than one hour. A bit expensive maybe, but given the availability of the spare engines it should not have impaired the service records.

Yes, the lag in response of the jet engines required a longer approach at landing and required more time to build up speed at take off.

It would not be a real problem in normal situation, for the 262 was a problem because of the catastrophic situation of Germany.
This would of been something that would of required training to get used to. If these aircraft came into service in a peace time situation, I think it could of been dealt with.
btw, I recall a video where an US pilot (maybe Strobell?) said that the change of the Jumo004 was done in less than one hour. A bit expensive maybe, but given the availability of the spare engines it should not have impaired the service records.
That was the intent but in reality it took much longer, this is mentioned in the book "Arrow to the Future." I think in reality it was initially taking 8 hours to do an engine change.

I don't think that still stands. Hitler's order did not slow down the deliveries of the Me 262. The real problem were the engines and those were not affected by the Me 262 being either a bomber or a jet.

The Me 262 (and thus the Jumo 004) did not get priority in 1943 and early 1944. More emphasis went to piston engined fighters like the Me 209. That's what really slowed down the project.
Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back