FW190A-8 of Hans Dortenmann- Werknummer?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all,

I've attached a picture of Red 1, an FW190A-8 flown by Hans Dortenmann with JG54. It's a very commonly modelled subject, probably due to how attractive its paint scheme is, but I was wondering if anybody knows what its Werknummer was?

Thanks!
tullis1.jpg

Yes, I put it up on there too, as I thought maybe they have a different 'viewership"? They seem like quite a quiet forum, compared to WW2Aircraft though.

Found this pic here although I'm not sure it's the above aircraft. Those with better refrences than I have should be able to tell you if the w/n is from an A-8. It doesn't appear to be a D as the fuselage extension is not evident.

EDIT: Just doing a bit more reading on this, if it's Dortenmann's aircraft, it could be the A-6 "Black 7" he was flying when he got his first victory. Evidently he collided with (rammed?) a Lagg-5 and belly landed back at his base.

Attachments

• gal23_016.525x790[1].jpg
    gal23_016.525x790[1].jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Thanks! Yes, I think you were right about it being the A-6, I think I can see snow on the bottom of the sled(?) the wreck is on. That would be consistent with the Russian front. Red 1 was lost in June 44 outside of Paris, as far as my research indicates...

EDIT: I just googled W.Nr 550885- it confirms that that was the A-6 Black 7.

Last edited:
Dortenmann was quite a character...

On april, 21 1945, the french ace Clostermann got shot by Dortenmann.

He explains how it happened in these 2 videos. The first of which taken during the 70's. Clostermann didn't know who shot him. The second video is from a ,90's documentary in which he finally knows.

(Sorry, it is in french.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMqvXiIeSMk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcaeq-WaNjY

Clostermann was flying in an 8 airplanes formation.
Dortenmann was alone and shot 3 of them, including Clostermann.
Clostermann thought everything was over for him. His engine stopped and a bullet passed just over his shoulder.
Then he saw the Dortenmann plane just over him, head down so he could see his face.
As Clostermann's plane was losing speed because of its broken engine, Dortenmann rolled under his plane to avoid being shot.
Too low to bail out, Clostermann landed wheels up, and when he got out of his plane, he saw his ennemy flying right to him.
Clostermann wondered if he was to shoot him, but Dortenmann was just saying goodbye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back