Fw190A6 Sturmjager of Sturmstaffel1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wojtek, why did you choose the Academy one:rolleyes: ?
It's the worst kit of the 3 most popular Fw 190 As reenditions in 1:72 scale, it don't even look like that plane...There are great Hasegawa 190As - which need a lot of detailing but has a great, Focke-Wulfish shape :) (Part's photo-etch and Tally Ho!'s wheel wells should be enough), Revell's 190 A-8 is also quite nice and cheap...if the problem is the gun cowling for A-6, I can help you with some resin...

Next - the drawings. Kagero as always have some errors, for example uncorrect shape of access panel at the bottom of fuselage, the best drawings are made by Arthur Bentley. but those in Aerodetail 06 - Focke Wulf Fw 190 A-F are useful.
I've added photos from HT Model Special No.916 Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A/F/G/S, drawings from Arthur Bentley's site and Fw 190 A-5/A-6 Flugzeug Handbuch.

Humm... Good question like our former Prime Minister said.

First of all, the main purpose of the thread is to show that we shouldn't be limited in our ideas to these "nice made" kits of very good quality.There are modellers who can't afford these quite expensive kits.What is more there is difference between assembling and building of a model I think.Moreover I like the kind of challange, my workmate says this is always "from no form to a shape" process and I agree with him fully.The kind of model building is a very good training of our abilities and using of different techinques.This can improve our skils.
The second reason I've decided to use the kit is that I found three of them in my stash.I hate wasting plastic.:lol:

THX for all. :D

Wojtek, you asked for a pic of one of my Academy efforts ...

..here I've replaced the rudder with one from the Airfix kit, but that's left the fin slightly too wide if anything. I decided that I couldn't do anything with the overly-tapered cowl (and poor definition cooler ring). Note also the horrible ailerons, which are far too wide...at least you should be able to sand and rescribe those..which i didn't. If you can make a good job of this kit I'll take my hat off to you (probably eat it as well...)

hackl.gif

Thanks Wayne - nice of you to take the trouble to compliment my very modest effort! ... Dan your work is just stunning !!!!

again for Wojtek, here is the 72nd scale Academy kit again (A-6 on the right) with the Revell A-8 alongside for an easy comparison of the two outlines.. that wing on the Academy kit looks like a barn door..about the only thing going for the kit is the multi -part canopy; no surgery to depict it open as required with the Revell kit..

baer.gif

Great lookin models Neil, especially for 1/72nd... I can definatly see the difference between the 2 kits, and the wings looks grossly out of proportion....

As far as the Dora goes, would u believe that this is only the 3rd model Ive done in the last 25+ years, and only 2nd one with an airbrush????

any chance of another view of the Aero 'Sturmjäger' article Wojtek - what pictures did they use ?

Thanks

The author use a few well-known pics and profiles made by Mr. Arkadiusz Wróbel.

I can make you sure I have known all advantages and disadvantages of both kits.And there is much more of them than you have mentioned above.Your models looks very nice, especially the Anthon Hackl's A-6 which is one of my favourite as well.But if you made A-6 the Pitot tube shouldn't have been on the wingtip, the one was moved there with A-8 wing.

Here you are some pics of right upper half of wing with corrections to panel lines, the aileron width ( also made to the lower half ).The same corrections were made to the left one.Also notice the correction to the shape of the wingtip.Of course corrections to both upper halves of the wing haven't been finished yet.When all is finished I have to use some putty to remove these incorrect and old panel lines. Any questions?

Attachments

• wing2.jpg
    wing2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 154
  • wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 142
  • wing1.jpg
    wing1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 153
  • wing1a.jpg
    wing1a.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 165
THX Daniel and Terry. :D

Of course, before I started engraving of hese corrected panel lines I had had to remove the MG-151 housing covers.I did it with a sharp razor blade.These housings have to be repositioned slightly back.

Attachments

• wing3_.jpg
    wing3_.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 146
  • wing3.jpg
    wing3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 154
  • wing2a.jpg
    wing2a.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 156
  • wing3a.jpg
    wing3a.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 160
Nice work Wojtek. Reminds me, I need to make some of those for my old Hasegawa 1/32nd scale A8. I built it 30 years ago, and only noticed they weren't moulded onto the wings when I photographed it a few weeks ago!

Hasegawa - the wing-tops are/were smooth, with no parts in the kit at that time, even though it was the A8. I had some plan drawings, which showed the under-wing hatches, which I had to mould as these were not on the kit parts either, but the plan was a multiple sheet, from A3 to A8, and only showed the earlier top wing!
Not a problem, as the model needs some repair and corrections to the colour scheme, so I'll add all the missing bits, plus a little more detail, when I start to 'update' it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back