Fw190A6 Sturmjager of Sturmstaffel1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It might seem to be a little stupid but the next step is to identify which version of a model we can assemble.In many cases, manufactures offer the same kit with different decals that are sold as other marks of the airplane.For instance the kit is offered by Academy as Fw190 A-6/A-8 and A-8 only.But we know that there are differences between these two variants.Also it can help us to decide what a kind of corrections we have to make to build a proper variant.
For the purpose I compared fuselage halves and wing ones to drawings from Eric Mombeek's "Sturmstaffel1" and Kagero books about Fw190A and to other reference materials I have had.Apart from the model mistakes in its shape, the final conclusion is that the kit is for A-8 assembling only.All inlet panels, hatches on fuselage and wings indicate Fw190A-8.So there is a question if it is possible to make A-6 one.Yes it is ,because Academy made all inlet panels as rised ones and it is quite easy to sand off these that are unnecessary.Unfortunately there are panels that have to be removed with putty and engraved of a new shape at correct places.Also the shape of wheel bays has to be corrected if we decided to build the early A-6.
Here some pics to show what is going on.

Attachments

• Aircraft id.jpg
    Aircraft id.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Aircraft id_.jpg
    Aircraft id_.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Aircraft id1a.jpg
    Aircraft id1a.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Aircraft id2a.jpg
    Aircraft id2a.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 139
  • Aircraft id4a.jpg
    Aircraft id4a.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 113
  • Aircraft id4b.jpg
    Aircraft id4b.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Aircraft id1.jpg
    Aircraft id1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 123
Hi Wurger

As far as I can see, the kit's shape is mostly wrong in the fin/rudder area. The whole thingy should be scratch re-built, and I guess using a better 190 model (for instance Hasegawa or Tamiya kit) would be much easier.

Hello Vince my boy !!! :)
How long haven't you been here? It seems that for ages.;)
To tell you the truth the model is all wrong and needs to be corrected at many places.I have started the thread to check if it is possible to make a correct and a nice model, having a such bad kit.We will see if it is possible at all.

He he he ...Jan My Bro... I have two ones of Eduard 1/48 scale A-8 and A-5.Anyway THX for suggestion.:)

Great stuff Wojtek! If I know you at all, this will turn out to be a great model despite all it's original faults.

A great guide for modeller's of all skill levels too. Cheers!

What you need is an Eduard 1/48 Wurger, Wojtek my friend.... :lol: Great thread old boy! :thumbright:

Heh, it would be a quite similar job to this one to make an accurate 190 from Eduard kit...
Hasegawa's Fw 190s are the best kits in both 1:72nd and 1:48th scale.

BTW, do I remember correctly that Academy's kit offers tropical filters?

What decals do you plan to use?

Good luck anyway, Sturmstaffel 1 is one of my favorite units and I hope to see a good kit.

Heh, it would be a quite similar job to this one to make an accurate 190 from Eduard kit...
Hasegawa's Fw 190s are the best kits in both 1:72nd and 1:48th scale.

BTW, do I remember correctly that Academy's kit offers tropical filters?

What decals do you plan to use?

Good luck anyway, Sturmstaffel 1 is one of my favorite units and I hope to see a good kit.

THX Dan and Caughtinthemiddle.

Yep....there are small pieces of plastic that can be these trop filters.:lol:

I have some decal sheets from Kagero and others sources.But markings of the A-6 I'm going to make are easy to make them by yourself.

I just spotted this build, Wojtek. Your ability it "mother-fy" these kits simply
amazes me. Now you know why I stick to balsa/tissue. Looks real good, I
will have to keep an eye on this thread. Nice photography, too...

Charles

Great stuff Wojtek. This is going to be an interesting thread.
Caught in the Middle. I hadn't heard that about the Eduard kits of the '190 - all reviews and builds I've seen state that they are fantastic, and the best around. As I'm planning a '190A8 in 1/48th, with either the Eduard or Hasegawa kit, it would be interesting to know what's wrong with it.
Sorry Wojtek, I'm intruding on your thread!

It's OK.But don't do it too often.:lol:

Great stuff Wojtek. This is going to be an interesting thread.
Caught in the Middle. I hadn't heard that about the Eduard kits of the '190 - all reviews and builds I've seen state that they are fantastic, and the best around. As I'm planning a '190A8 in 1/48th, with either the Eduard or Hasegawa kit, it would be interesting to know what's wrong with it.
Sorry Wojtek, I'm intruding on your thread!

Well, it has some disadvantages unfortunately.
My english isn't the best so I could not describe all, but will try to point out some:
- way too thick tail and rudder,
- too narrow wheels,
- wrong shape of side engine cowls,
- wrong shape of pilot seat,
- wrong shape of props blades (CMK offers nice ones),
- some wrong access panels - some are misplaced and some aren't placed at all (but this is familiar with all Fw 190 kits I've seen, probably because drawings in popular publications are also incorrect...).

Hope it will help.

End of off topic :)

All will be shown.But thanks for these infos.I think you should start your own thread about your models.

Well, it has some disadvantages unfortunately.
My english isn't the best so I could not describe all, but will try to point out some:
- way too thick tail and rudder,
- too narrow wheels,
- wrong shape of side engine cowls,
- wrong shape of pilot seat,
- wrong shape of props blades (CMK offers nice ones),
- some wrong access panels - some are misplaced and some aren't placed at all (but this is familiar with all Fw 190 kits I've seen, probably because drawings in popular publications are also incorrect...).

Hope it will help.

End of off topic :)

Crikey! :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back