Galland's Bf 109s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is an original Erla haube c/w dive angle indicator. Self evident differences.

bf109Erlahaube.gif

Steve

Here is an original Erla haube c/w dive angle indicator. Self evident differences.

bf109Erlahaube.gif

Steve

Well thanks y'all for your various and remarkably rapid responses - very complete too

I have to say that the Erla is an improvement, but I still do not envy a luftwaffe pilot trying to look forward and to each side of the nose

Its like a bad pair of NHS specs - or for the Non-Brits here think heavy plastic frames. like Michael Caine

bailey_caine.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Cromwell.

When Galland was young - still only a glider pilot - he suffered a near fatal crash with his glider, simply because he and his friends had tweaked it a little too much.
Galland broke his nose and suffered a nasty skull fracture which sent him into a coma for three days, and glass splinters from the cockpit glass went into one of his eyes.
The glass was going to cause him a lot of trouble with getting a license to fly engined aircraft, and so he cheated with the help of a fellow young officer - and ended up becoming a fighter pilot anyway, but the glass splinters stayed in Galland's eye until the day he died.
So that's why Galland looks like he does on the old photos. ;)

He really did have a Bionic Glass Eye - it must have hurt like mad

How strange, how brave to keep flying

I am reminded of Matthew 7:5

Some more pics.......

Attachments

• 2239249466_9f3f752015_o.jpg
    2239249466_9f3f752015_o.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 755
  • SIN_TT~1.JPG
    SIN_TT~1.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 747
  • galland1.jpg
    galland1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 703
  • galland01.jpg
    galland01.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
For the record Photo no. 5 from 10 o'clock passing the trees to the right is in fact W.Nr 5966.

If you look closely at the area directly above the exhaust it has a camouflaged panel that is not yellow....

Photo's of W.Nr 5966 show it with 50 victories on the rudder.:D

Wayne
please may you give me more information about the Bf109E W.Nr.5966? You quote a photo of its rudder with 50 victories, may you add some details?
Thank you
Flavio

Wayne
please may you give me more information about the Bf109E W.Nr.5966? You quote a photo of its rudder with 50 victories, may you add some details?
Thank you
Flavio

Erm....which photo are we talking about? :shock:
And no matter how much I google, I can't find W.Nr. 5966...that said, it might for all i know be me who can't google. :lol:
I checked through all of my files, and there's no mention of a W.Nr. 5966. Typo, mayhap?

Another pic I found from "Bf 109D/E Aces 1939-41" by John Weal.

and Maria thanks for that pic!

Attachments

• img183.jpg
    img183.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 697
Erm....which photo are we talking about? :shock:
And no matter how much I google, I can't find W.Nr. 5966...that said, it might for all i know be me who can't google. :lol:
I checked through all of my files, and there's no mention of a W.Nr. 5966. Typo, mayhap?

Hi BikerBabe,
please refer to Wayne Little post of 4-15-2009 in this thread (pag1). He is correct: the Bf 109 in the photos I try to attach is not the famous 5819, but another one. He said it is 5966 but I have no more info, I hope Wayne may help us.
Flavio

Attachments

• Galland 5966 study.jpg
    Galland 5966 study.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 726
Alright, thank you, Flaviosil. ;) :thumbleft:

To me, it looks like the E4 that Galland used in mid august - early september 1940, W. Nr. 5398.
Please notice the different-coloured area right in front of the cockpit, that seems like a yellow-coloured area stretching forward to the nose of the plane to me. But there's no Mickey Mouse on it, like the drawings I've seen of 5398...hmmmm.
*digs further*

I'll catch up later, I have to go to work.

Cheers,

Maria.

Hi BikerBabe,
please refer to Wayne Little post of 4-15-2009 in this thread (pag1). He is correct: the Bf 109 in the photos I try to attach is not the famous 5819, but another one. He said it is 5966 but I have no more info, I hope Wayne may help us.
Flavio

To me, it looks like the E4 that Galland used in mid august - early september 1940, W. Nr. 5398.
Please notice the different-coloured area right in front of the cockpit, that seems like a yellow-coloured area stretching forward to the nose of the plane to me. But there's no Mickey Mouse on it, like the drawings I've seen of 5398...hmmmm.
Maria.

Yes the two pics posted by Flavio ARE of 5966, I didn't mention earlier but the Black green spinner with cap is a feature, 5819 has a Yellow open spinner with a Black Green back plate. also 5966 did not carry the Mickey Mouse insignia. The schlageter badge is slightly different on each aircraft also.
Maria, 5398 was an earlier aircraft flown by Galland.

See below for confirmation of the existence of 5966.....:D

Source : Bf109E Vol 1 Kagero publications Jakob Plewka

Attachments

• Galland_Bf109E-4n_5966_Tail_50 Vic_a.JPG
    Galland_Bf109E-4n_5966_Tail_50 Vic_a.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 655
Yes the two pics posted by Flavio ARE of 5966, I didn't mention earlier but the Black green spinner with cap is a feature, 5819 has a Yellow open spinner with a Black Green back plate. also 5966 did not carry the Mickey Mouse insignia. The schlageter badge is slightly different on each aircraft also.
Maria, 5398 was an earlier aircraft flown by Galland.

See below for confirmation of the existence of 5966.....:D

Source : Bf109E Vol 1 Kagero publications Jakob Plewka

Fantastic Wayne!
Thank you very much.
Flavio

Fantastic Wayne!
Thank you very much.
Flavio

I second that - thanks for the info, Wayne! :thumbleft:
Hmmm *thinks*...I found another 109 mentioned in one of the Galland scans I did when I had borrowed some books from the library; it could very well be that the 109 mentioned without a W. Nr. is 5966.
I'll see if there's mentioned something more about 5966.
Thanks for sharing that pic, Wayne. ;)

Cheers,

Maria.

You're welcome Flavio and Maria.

I doubt that you will find much relating to 5966 Maria, the aircraft was known but could not be tied to any set of images....any picture of Gallands 109 was basically captioned as 5819 because no pics showed the W.Nr. to confirm that 5966 was used right along side of 5819....that is until the image above and a few others surfaced to confirm its existence.

A couple of others 'thought' to be flown by Galland are 5816, 5965 and 4958.

You're welcome Flavio and Maria.

I doubt that you will find much relating to 5966 Maria, the aircraft was known but could not be tied to any set of images....any picture of Gallands 109 was basically captioned as 5819 because no pics showed the W.Nr. to confirm that 5966 was used right along side of 5819....that is until the image above and a few others surfaced to confirm its existence.

A couple of others 'thought' to be flown by Galland are 5816, 5965 and 4958.

Very intersting post Wayne!
During my research on Galland's 5819 I also noted some differences between the planes even if the caption always quotes it as 5819...Let's start with this one: for sure it was not 5819 neither 5966; what do you think about its W.Nr.? Have you more information about it?
Thanks Flavio

Attachments

• Galland 109 3-eee.jpg
    Galland 109 3-eee.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 663
Very intersting post Wayne!
During my research on Galland's 5819 I also noted some differences between the planes even if the caption always quotes it as 5819...Let's start with this one: for sure it was not 5819 neither 5966; what do you think about its W.Nr.? Have you more information about it?
Thanks Flavio

I can only tell you it is captioned as another pilots aircraft in JG26 Top Guns of the Luftwaffe, and not Gallands aircraft.Will check further when I get home from work...

I can only tell you it is captioned as another pilots aircraft in JG26 Top Guns of the Luftwaffe, and not Gallands aircraft.Will check further when I get home from work...

You are right Wayne,
some sources quote him as another pilot, but other say he is Galland; I think he could be Galland at Abbeville around the end of december '40.
Flavio

Flavio, the above 109 is noted as Fw. Bruno Hegenauer's aircraft of the Stabsschwarm at Abbeville on the 23rd of December. The caption also stating "This aircraft has often been misidentified as Galland's 5819 but lacks the latters wing gun cameras"
There is another shot showing Gallands 5819 taxiing on the same gravel strip from a similar angle, with what appears to be gun cameras inboard of the cannons.

Wayne, was that in Caldwell's book? I couldn't find it in my edition but I did find 2 more pics that I missed.

from "The JG 26 War Diary" by Donald Caldwell......

Attachments

• img186.jpg
    img186.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 685
  • img187.jpg
    img187.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 718

Users who are viewing this thread

Back