GB.18 A little help needed.... Heavy Hitters II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Do you mean the Il-2 cockpit? If you do.... the black one rather no. According to my knowledge all visible areas were painted with the steel grey A-14 colour. However the tint of the paint might be a little bit different because of a primer for instance.

Thanks Wojtek yeah the Il-2m3.

On my Blenheim, the prop is broken in the kit and it would be a good time to get a resin set.
Trouble is, I'm not sure which ones. From what I have read the Mk.IV has just a 2 speed 3 blade Rotol prop. Near as I can find its a 3.25M Dia. (10'-7")

Which other aircraft used this same prop? Anyone know?

Blenheim Mk.I with Rotol propeller

G2154.jpg

Blenheim Mk.I with DeHavilland Propeller

blenheim1.jpg

Blenheim Mk.II with DeHavilland propeller

Bristol%20Blenheim%20Mk%20II%20L1222%20Filton%201938.jpg

Blenheim Mk.IV with DeHavilland propeller

b18blen.jpg

Blenheim Mk.V with DeHavilland propeller

Bristol%20Blenheim%20Mk%20V%20114Sqn%20Bisley.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Wurg......... them's great pics.
but I need the diameter, and any other types that used the same prop so I can get an aftermarket prop.

The only info I have found is that the Bristol Blenheim powered by Mercury VIII had propellers of 2,68m in diameter.

Instead of starting a new thread, are we allowed heavy hitters of any time period, or is this only limited to WW2,

ie Su-22 is ok to make?

My Blenheim!

I have seen pictures with, and without the chin turret.
Would mine from 18 Sqdn, July 1940 ditched on the beach at Normandy, Have, or have Not the chin turret??????

I cannot find any period photos of WV*L.
And... the kit turret is a bl00dy Box, not the nice neat aerodynamic one shown on so many Blenheims!!!!!

Anything?

Bill, here is the Blenheim of the 18Sqdn coded WV_T serial R3662 forced landed in France in July 1940. Maybe this could help...

Bristol-Blenheim-MkIV-RAF-18Sqn-WV-T-R3662-force-landed-on-a-French-Beach-July-6th-1940.jpg

or here the WV_M serial V6267 in July 1941..

blenheim_11.jpg

Here , three variants of the Blenheim dorsal ,semi-automatic retracted turret . All of them look the same. The difference is the armament only.

A - BI Mk.III with one Vickers K 7.7mm MG.
B - BI Mk.IIIa with two Vickers or Lewis 7.7mm MGs
C - BI Mk.IV with two Browning 7.7mm MGs

Blenheim dorsal turret.jpg

Well Wurger................. you are the man.....

If this photo is Correct, and it does have the Insignia on it so it appears official. Then everyone has it wrong! Serial is Not R8662 and code is Not "L"*WV. Even the museum in Canada?

In the bottom photo the little thing under the chin is Not a gun blister, it's just too small.

Silver around the engine nacelle! It's all one color underneath, this is Bomber Command? So would this mean No chin gun?

So my dilemma deepens. What do I do about the code and serial...... Shall I take a pole on this????

Here is an enlarged part of the picture with the Blenheim serial. Undoubtedly it is the R3662 but not the R8662.

blenheim 18 sqdn_1.jpg

Well then...... That settles it.

I got to thinking, would R3662 And R8662 have been in the same Sqdn? Or even Was there an R8662?
I kinda like the stepped code anyway!

Thanks again Wurger!

***This settles it, R8662 was a Hawker Typhoon, by the UK serials list!!!!! So there yahs goes!

Last edited:
My pleasure...

And here some info about the 18th Squadron and the Blenheim serial R numbers I found in one of my references.

18 sqdn_.jpg

blenheim production.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back