GB.18 WWII Heavy Hitters 2 Introduction

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have to get a kit for this GB as my stash is small what would you guys like to see or some good ideas.

Bill, strange that the paint is chipping off - never happened to me in the forty plus years I've used the method. Let the paint dry thoroughly before cutting, and then use a new blade in the scalpel. cut the strips, and lift one edge, carefully peeling away from the glass. If bent violently, it may chip or peel, but careful handling and application takes care of this.
you are using enamels, aren't you?

I dont have anything in my stash that fits. I was tossing up the following possibilities

1) Swordfish of some description
2) Beaufort, Beaufighter or Mosquito in RAAF colours
3) Something from the EF, maybe an IL-2, to make my wife happy

All of these i dont have, but should be able to get a copy fairly easily. Any suggestions of a good quality model for each of these suggestions. These would end up in my display case, so I would like a good model if possible.

This one I plan to do a basic no frills build on, but aiming for as high a finish as I can.

One that I was considering but doesnt really fit, but at least i have it....maybe a P-38 I suppose not acceptable, but hey worth asking....Ive got an old airfix 1/72 that was given to me a couple of years ago and havent really done anything with it. its a friend of my sons, and i know he would be thrilled if i built it and gave it back to him. ....so whats the ruling? The only thing I can say in defence is that the P-38 was multi engined and could carry bombs....but not a heavy hitter.

all in 1/72 scale

Any fighter-bomber should fit as a "Heavy Hitter", at least in my understanding of the term. This would include the Typhoon, the P-47, Corsair,...etc, as long as the version is the one adapted for ground attack.
My two cents.

Yep Terry, bought enamel for this one. It dried for about three days, more from neglect than anything else. When I cut it, new scalpel, it chipped at the edge, then off when I pulled the tape up. I am also using the backing paper from sign vinyl for laying the tape out, it is far less aggressive to the tape adhesive. There will be a solution to what is happening.

Bill, ignore the edge of the tape - it will possibly chip and / or peel there. Cut the required strips further in from the edge, using a single 'slice' of the blade for each side of the strip needed. By the way, are you brushing the paint, or spraying? Brushing is better.

Yep, brushed, two coats to cover. I will try a single coat to see what happens. No rush on this solution. Better to know what does Not work eh.

Yep, better to try it and see. It should work without problem, given the tape is normal, clear 'Sellotape', and not vinyl or some other strong, paint resistant, awkward stuff !

I was thinking about using that method on a 1/72 B-24, myself. Sure hope you get this one sorted.
I have a thought, maybe you are waiting too long before cutting the strips? One other thing, when removing them from your cutting surface, are you peeling them "back" at too much of an angle?

Good point Paul.
It's ok, in fact better, to let the paint thoroughly dry, although I normally do the cutting within about two to three hours after painting. When peeling off the glass, lift the end of the tape with a scalpel blade, and slowly and carefully, peel the tape in one single movement,not allowing any 'slack' in the area between peeled and still stuck tape, and not exceeding about 45 degrees with the tape, relative to the surface it's stuck to.
When laying down the tape for painting, do not press it firmly in place, just enough for it to be flat. I normally give the tape a wipe over, to remove any grease, or traces of adhesive from where it's been on the roll. Ensure the paint is fully stirred, with all the pigment absorbed - what might seem like a decent coat, if not fully stirred, could be just the carrier tinted with pigment. This could inspection pass on a 'solid' surface, but is likely to chip, flake or peel on the clear tape when unpeeled.

Got the kit ordered today for G.B. 18 from squadron the kit is hobbyboss.

As mentioner earlier, I'm going to do my Tamiya Beaufighter Mk VI but need to convert to a Mk 21 of 31 Squadron RAAF. This one will be Serial number A8-23, Code EH-C as usually flown by F/Off A.A. Burton, Nav P/Off R.W. Lyons. The aircraft joined the squadron in October 1944 and was struck off charge in August 1949. Outside of that I have no other information except a profile from Geofffrey Pentland's book 'RAAF Camouflage Markings 1939-45 Vol 2. So if anybody can throw any other info my way on this machine, it would be really appreciated.

I found this...

A8-23
28/08/44 1 AD.
16/10/44 31 Sqn. Code EH-C all grouped aft of the roundel, Nose: tigers head.
Pilot: FLGOFF A.A. Burton Nav PLTOFF R.W. Lyons (Pentland Vol 2, profile p.94, photo p.95).
09/10/45 5 AD stored.
08/08/49 Struck Off.

I've got some books Vic. I'll check later tonight after I finally start to paint.

Geo

EDIT:1st book; profile of aircraft facing starboard, single color overall, codes in stencil form, tiger head on the nose with #23, hedgehog exhausts.
2nd book; many pages of interior shots of a Mk.21, if the Mk.X is similar, then many more.

Last edited:
I was thinking about using that method on a 1/72 B-24, myself. Sure hope you get this one sorted.
I have a thought, maybe you are waiting too long before cutting the strips? One other thing, when removing them from your cutting surface, are you peeling them "back" at too much of an angle?

That is going to be my next try. Took the words right out of me gob!

I've got some books Vic. I'll check later tonight after I finally start to paint.

Geo

EDIT:1st book; profile of aircraft facing starboard, single color overall, codes in stencil form, tiger head on the nose with #23, hedgehog exhausts.
2nd book; many pages of interior shots of a Mk.21, if the Mk.X is similar, then many more.

Thanks George, I've have that profile and I'm not thinking of doing much to the interior with this one. I've a PE set and that will be about it and a stack of pictures, so I should be okay on that score.

Vic, all that can be seen of the Beau's interior, especially in 1/48th scale, is the cockpit, and a little of the area in the entrance well immediately behind it, plus the immediate area of the Observer's position, especially if both upper hatches are closed.
The rest, as provided by Tamiya, is just enough to give the impression that there's something inside, but you have to use a torch and look at daft angles to see it!
Have a look at my 1/32nd scale effort in the MTO GB, which may help with some details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back