GB 28 Discussion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Since I've finished the Typhoon I've been seriously looking at what I have in the stash for this build. I have quite a few RAF bombers and some others, but all in 1/72nd. I really wanted to get back to 1/48th scale this time around. but have a very limited selection. I have a P-70 but am not sure I want to do something in an all black paint scheme. I have an AMT F7F-2N Tigercat that I'd like to tackle. It was with VF-52 on board the Antietam for Carrier qualifications in April 1943. It was a purpose built night fighter and that puts it within the WWII time frame but I just wanted to make sure it still qualifies as it did not actually see combat.

Cool! Here's the box. The kit has vinyl tires so the first thing I need to do is locate some resin ones.

Attachments

• tigercat.jpg
    tigercat.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 77
Thought the same for my 262 Glenn but decided to stick with the vinyl to see what the fuss was about. With a bit of primer and finish paint, I think they do just fine:

15112807.jpg

You must be wary of the Vinyl tyres, make sure you paint the internal areas of the plastic and vinyl to put a barrier between them, over time the vinyl will react with the plastic if you don't...better to replace them if you can.

Didn't know the F7F was around late in the War...Go for it! was considering my 3N for a later GB..

I agree with Wayne regarding the tyres.
I read somewhere, I think in a build thread here on the forum, that this kit in particular was known to be prone to degradation of the tyres, and reaction with the plastic wheels, over time.
I have a Hasegawa Phantom FGR 2 which has vinyl tyres, but mounted on white-metal wheels and, whilst there is no reaction between tyre and wheel, the tyres themselves, after time, tend to 'stick' slightly to some surfaces, although since putting the model on a glass shelf, it's been fine. A similar thing happens with the vinyl tyres on my Dragon P-51D, although again, no reaction with the (plastic) wheels, as the inner bead of the tyres (as well as the entire outer surfaces), and the inner faces of the wheel rims, have been painted.
Conversely, an Italeri 1/35th scale Horch car, buit around 20 years ago, is starting to show signs of reaction between the spare wheel and vinyl tyre, which, unlike the main wheels, were not painted internally. The tyre bead is exhibiting a soft, 'sticky' surface now.
Note that not all tyres of this type suffer the same reaction - it probably depends on the composition and density - but the AMT Tigercat kit is known to have a problem in this area.

Thanks for the info guys. I've been leery about vinyl since way back when I use to make car models as a kid. I wish AMT didn't include them in their kits but they are primarily a car kit manufacturer so that probably explains it. I'll use the True Details resin one if I can lay my hands on some.

Luftwaffe Experten: Would a Ta-152H of JG301 qualify for this GB? JG301 was a Wilde Sau unit but didn't know if there is any record that Ta-152 partook in any night action.
07afddcd325875442fdb12fa2c185149_zpsrkglt9lo.jpg

Not aware of any night action for JG301 late war, especially not in Ta152's

Most night action was late 43 and early 44 before being switched to Day only interception duties from sometime mid 44.

Last edited:
With all above. I'm definitely doing a 152 in GB29.

Thanks guys! I thought as much but thought I'd confirm. I think I'll be wrapping up the Toryu with time for a third kit in this GB. I have a DML Ju-88G but wanted to hold off on that one since there are two others already working on the same kit. So I briefly thought about throwing in the ZM Ta-152H into this GB and then doing the Ju-88G in GB29.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back