<-- GB 32 question (1 Viewer)

PBY-5A or Ventura Mk.II

• PBY-5A

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Ventura Mk.II

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Good evening one and all. I am looking ahead to group build 32 which is twin engine aircraft, allied or axis. I am pondering between two different kits I have in the stash and am looking for your input as to which one you would like to see me tackle as my first (and possibly only) build in #32.

The first kit is the old tried, tested and true Monogram PBY-5A and the second is the Revell Ventura Mk.II.

The build starts one month from today and I will take on the model that garners the most "votes" from you guys.

Jeff

All Ready? Gadzooks, I've gotta get a move on. Do you have a squadron choice for either Jeff. An RCAF bird would sway my vote :twisted:

As far as the Ventura is concerned, I will be using the kit supplied decals which leaves me with either a 454 sqdn RAF bird or a 487 Sqdn RNZAF kite. Both are standard dark green and dark earth finish.

The PBY stock decal sheet provides 2 options as well. The first is a post war scheme so it is out. The second is for a 2nd Emergency Rescue Squadron USN aircraft.

I have not thought about other decals as of yet so I am afraid as of right now, no Canadian stuff.

Jeff

I started snooping around the aftermarket decal scene for the PBY and if she wins the nod for the GB32 then I will purchase some Dutch markings and build her as a ship flying out of Ceylon in early 1942. FYI in case this helps you decide which kit you want to see built.

Jeff

A tough one Jeff. As we've seen the PBY here before, I think I'd tend to go for the Ventura, a kit I have in the stash to eventually add to my 2 Group collection, and a nice kit too.

Having built both and knowing the space involved building the Cat, I'd lean towards the Ventura. I built the first release by Revell and the only issue I recall is with the props being the wrong shape. Not sure if they were corrected for the second release but there is a correction set for sale at Ultracast high detail accessories

ventura.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back