<-- GB 32 -Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII Discussion Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Almost ready to start this one! I got some goodies for my P-38J but still waiting on the kit.
30540995721_d1f0abe542_b.jpg

Geo, all I have so far is a representative serial number - HJ671. This Squadron only carried the individual code letter, and even via the Squadron Association's photo scrap books, I've been unable to find any pics.
I've asked Gp.Cpt Barr if it's posible to obtain a photo, but I don't hold out much hope.

Spent the day in PG so just got back to the books. In the Famous Airplanes of the World book (totally in Japanese) it gives a list of all squadrons that flew the Mossie and the codes they used. Beside 46 Sqn. is this...コード なし...which tranlates to English as "no code". Not saying the book is correct, just a thought. Back to the books.................

Thanks for those links Geo, they'll be useful.
You're quite right concerning the lack of Squadron code letters - when the Squadron was a day-fighter unit, equipped with the Hurricane, the Sqn. codes were 'PO'. But when they moved to the Middle East, only the individual code letter was displayed.
The Sqn. codes changed to 'XK' when the Sqn reformed with Stirling Mk.Vs in February 1945.
A number of sources seem to omit 46 Sqn as operating the Mosquito Mk.XII, possibly due to the short length of time they were actually operational, but they definitely did use them.

I am planning use the 1/48 scale Academy kit to depict Lieutenant Allen Hill's P-38J christened "Hill's Angels". He flew with the famous "Headhunters" of the 80th Fighter Squadron in the Pacific Theater. I have found two pictures of the aircraft on the net, one of the port side of the nose...

and one of the starboard side...

Does anyone know why the girl's face on the first picture is blank? The 1/48 scale decal sheet from Cutting Edge seems to replicate the blank face while the 1/32 decals from Zotz shown below has facial features.

Maybe these will help you, from the book Attack & Conquer by John C Stanaway and Lawrence J Hickey

img037.jpg
img038.jpg

I usually end up going there in January or February because things start ramping up at work in March. Can't wait to see the new hanger!

I've never been there, we are looking at a 9 or 10 day trip, will stop there then off to DC to see both hangers there and then off to the Virginia beach museum of aviation and then home

Still in debations as to what I'm going to do. If I do the Ta154/Fw190 Mistel, I'll need to learn how to apply mottle.....fast. If I do the Mosquito NF.XIII, major surgery is required on the nose. Leaning towards a captured Do335. Once I get my current GB primered I'll make a choice.

leaning toward the Betty alright......but not in surrender markings, sorry Jeff.

A 1/48 Betty would be great! How about one equipped with an Ohka?

Still in debations as to what I'm going to do. If I do the Ta154/Fw190 Mistel, I'll need to learn how to apply mottle.....fast. If I do the Mosquito NF.XIII, major surgery is required on the nose. Leaning towards a captured Do335. Once I get my current GB primered I'll make a choice.

The Do335 would be a good subject I think. Not the standard twin engine aircraft so that makes it interesting.

A 1/48 Betty would be great! How about one equipped with an Ohka?.

The G4M2 Ohka equipped Betty's are a little different from the G4M1 and as much as I would like to go down that path there is a bit of work to do to make the changes so I will pass on that...:( for the time being.
( I do have a second Betty and I do have the Finemolds Ohka in the stash....) :D So I never say never....

Choice of aircraft is made and now to decide which of these 4 to do, leaning towards #2...

do335.jpg

Camp bus in 3 hours so I'll start doing some research when I get home to see if there are any/many differences between the A-02 and the A-1 versions . Revell has thoughtfully provided optional parts for both versions; as a big plus you drop in the cockpit(s) as a single unit once the fuselage halves are joined, no messy cutting required

Users who are viewing this thread

Back