<-- GB 32 -Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII Discussion Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i was thinking of doing either a Mosquito FB.VI or PR.IX but, following a contact from Group Capt. Dougie Barr, Secretary of the 46 Squadron Association, I have offered to do this as a Mosquito Mk.II, and donate it in time for the Squadron's 100th Annual Reunion Dinner, in June 2017.
I'll probably use the old, but still good, Airfix 1/48th scale kit, as I have it in the stash, but I might get the Tamiya kit, depending on the exact equipment fit of the particular aircraft to be depicted.

john de zots decals it's a very good decals, from what I've seen and I've heard they come out very good and give a great result

Terry excellent choose.

As for my choice what I have in principle decided, first'll do the heinkel He219 uhu a7 I'm hesitating between the three models it brings, which is not yet done.
I have second thought or the Wellintong IC- MK VIII of Coastal Command in Iceland or PV2 harpoon in koneohe, oahu, hawai 1945

Nice choice Terry!

john de zots decals it's a very good decals, from what I've seen and I've heard they come out very good and give a great result

Unfortunately, I can't use the Zotz sheet since it is 1/32 and I am building a 1/48 scale kit. I just used it for reference since the girl on this sheet has eyes, nose and mouth. The Cutting Edge decals that I am planning to use look like they have blanked out the face...

CED48031.jpg

Thanks John.

Geo, it's the NF.XII, with the 'thimble' nose. There's a resin nose available, or I can mould one to fit, but thanks very much for the offer my friend.
But trying to find pics of the aircraft with 46 Sqn is like trying to find Hitler's dog - having only been in service with the Squadron for a few months, it appears there aren't any photos !

Too many choices for this build.....

1/48 G4M1 Betty Preferred Choice.
1/48 Dornier Do215B-5 nightfighter
1/32 Mosquito (Tamiya)
1/32 He219 (Revell)
1/48 J1N1-S Gekko

Geo, all I have so far is a representative serial number - HJ671. This Squadron only carried the individual code letter, and even via the Squadron Association's photo scrap books, I've been unable to find any pics.
I've asked Gp.Cpt Barr if it's posible to obtain a photo, but I don't hold out much hope.

Scanned through my stuff and no joy Terry. Only 97 NF XIIs produced. Ian Thirsk's Illustrated History of the Mosquito makes no mention of 46 Squadron.

My philosophy on something like this is base your model on the best info available. No-one can prove you wrong!

Thanks Geo and Andy.
Yep, the type was limited in production, being the first of the later centimetric radar equipped Mossies, and 46 Sqn only had them from July to December 1944, before returning to the UK to disband, and re-form as a transport Squadron, with Stirlings, in February 1945.
I have a good selection of Mosquito books, and nothing shows in any of them, although it would seem that, as with their Beaus, only the individual code latter was carried.
Colour schemes seem to have been the standard ETO type night fighter scheme, although undersides might have been over-painted in 'Night', which I'll verify.
Dougie Barr has offered to obtain the ORB for the period, but it's doubtful that it will provide anything further, so I'll do as Andy suggests, and 'best guess' things!
Incidentally, it seems I had the rather dubious honour of flying with 46 Sqn, back in 1973, when they had Andovers.
I say "rather dubious" as, after finding that the Andover refused to 'kneel down' properly, I had to board up a very high, steep ladder, carrying 90 Pounds of equipment on my shoulder, before taking off from Fassberg, and then being thrown out over Luneberg Heath, to walk the rest of the way !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back