<-- GB 32 -Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I going h my Do 217, to be done as the one that crashed near where i live.

See here

Aircraft accidents in Yorkshire.

I have been mulling this aircrafts paint scheme with Terry on and off for a couple of years, the kit was even a gift from him for my birthday !

We think it may have been RLM 70/71 topsides with the sides and undersides blacked out for night ops ?

Though any input would be welcome

It's Do217 U5+HS WNr 5314. Have not seen pics but the scheme that you mentioned wold be a fairly typical bomber scheme of the period.

Yep, some of the info I found shows profiles of the scheme, including one from a now out of print decal sheet. Interpretations vary, with just the Balkenkreuz and codes etc 'blacked out', to the entire underside with a 'wash' of black distemper-type paint.

een-dornier-217-.jpg

Thinking of something like this, though may leave the yellow H showing !

Hello,
I'll try to participate in this GB. My options are (all in 1/48 scale):
- P-38 (R. I. Bong or G. R. Johnson or T. J. Lynch or C. H. McDonald or T. B. McGuire or J. T. Robbins)
- Mosquito XIX (B. A. Burbridge)
- Bf 110G-4 (H. Lent or H. W. Schnaufer)
- Ju 88R-2 (H. Lent)
- Me 262A-1a (F. Schall)

Which P-38 would that be buddy?

Karl I would say the scheme in that pic is definitely 70/71 uppers and black sides/undersides. The blacked out aircraft letter on the fuselage and tail is interesting and I wonder if the practice expanded beyond staffel level to be picked up by your rig which would have been in a different Gruppe.

Karl I would say the scheme in that pic is definitely 70/71 uppers and black sides/undersides. The blacked out aircraft letter on the fuselage and tail is interesting and I wonder if the practice expanded beyond staffel level to be picked up by your rig which would have been in a different Gruppe.
Andy the pic shows a Do217 E-2 at around the same time period my subject an E-4 was lost, going from memory the picture is of a 3 Kg2 machine,( though might be wrong on that ) but is not an 8 Kg2 bird like my subject !

I can't remember if I sent the profiles to Karl, but I'll see if I can find them, or links to them, and post here.

please do Dogsbody, you were struggling to find them last we spoke on this subject :lol:

If standard designation was used, U5+HL would be indeed be from 3/KG2 with yellow aircraft letter. Your U5+HS may have had the H in red if normal practice were followed and if the letter was not blacked out.

Hey Steph... what will be your base kit for the P-38? I am thinking of going with the Academy kit and using various AM upgrades.

Hi John,
- R. I. Bong' P-38H #79 Hasegawa with True Details cockpit and P-38L #42 Academy with True Details cockpit and Quickboost air intakes
- G. R. Johnson' P-38J #83 Hasegawa with Aires cockpit and Quickboost air intakes
- T. J. Lynch' P-38H #10 Hasegawa with Eduard photo etched cockpit and Quickboost air intakes
- C. H. MacDonald' P-38L #100 Academy with True Details cockpit and Quickboost air intakes
- T. B. McGuire' P-38L #131 Hasegawa with Verlinden update set and Quickboost air intakes
- J. T. Robbins' P-38H #J Hasegawa and P-38J "JANDINA III" Hasegawa with Aires cockpit and Quickboost air intakes

I haven't yet made my choice :rolleyes:

I'm leaning toward this one right now using the kit decals to depict the aircraft on the box top which just happens to me the one in the Air Force Museum.

PA212195.JPG
P2166465.JPG
P2120592.JPG

I am planning use the 1/48 scale Academy kit to depict Lieutenant Allen Hill's P-38J christened "Hill's Angels". He flew with the famous "Headhunters" of the 80th Fighter Squadron in the Pacific Theater. I have found two pictures of the aircraft on the net, one of the port side of the nose...
abe32.jpg

and one of the starboard side...
8092019484_0f183b4342_b.jpg

Does anyone know why the girl's face on the first picture is blank? The 1/48 scale decal sheet from Cutting Edge seems to replicate the blank face while the 1/32 decals from Zotz shown below has facial features.

03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back