GB-37 1/48th Spitfire M k1a - Helicopters / Military aircraft of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The model has had two coats of clear gloss applied, but, as expected, it's going to need at least one more coat, due to the mix of matt and satin paints.
I also need to 'repair' one small spot on the port wing. I moved the model, around 6 hours after applying the last clear coat, and there was one small area that was still slightly tacky - right where a finger touched !
It might clear with another gloss coat, but I suspect I may have to re-touch this spot. Either way, it'll delay getting the decals started, which will probably now be tomorrow, allowing time for further gloss coats to fully harden.

Spit 72 Sqn build 165.JPG

Thanks Wojtek.
A further gloss coat has been applied, which seems to be enough, and thankfully, it also 'repaired' the damaged area.
I'll let this harden until tomorrow, and then start on the decals.

I'm ready to start the decals, using some from the kit, code letters and under-wing roundels from 'Xtradecal', and the serial numbers made up from 'Tally Ho' black letters / numbers.
First though, I had to consider the black, wing walk lines. The kit provides decals for these, but I'm slightly wary of Tamiya's smaller, or finer decals, as they often leave 'silvering' around the edges, regardless of precautions that may be taken.
Also, I wasn't sure that these were totally correct, so checked some notes I made many years ago ( confirmed by the late Edgar Brookes's Spitfire notes, very recently posted by Geo), and found that although the port wing had the black line along the length of the spar, and chord-wise near the wing root, the starboard wing on the Mk I to V only had a black line from wing root to tip, and this was further confirmed by studying various period photographs.
The 'mirror image' version for the starboard wing only came into use with the MkIX, with its strengthened wing, although late-production (or re-painted) MkVs, with the reinforcing strips could have had this added.
Consequently, the lines were masked, and brush painted matt black - the stencil 'walk outboard / inboard' decals will be cut from the kit's walkway lines, and used in the appropriate locations.
The pics below show the masking in place and painting underway, and how the lines look with the masking tape removed.
I should have some pics of the first stage of the decals later.

Spit 72 Sqn build 167.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 168.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 172.JPG

Thanks very much chaps - I'm pleased with it so far, although I've spotted a couple of small lumps in the paintwork, on the starboard wing root and top of the rudder, probably dust, that need attention, and should be an easy fix.
The main decals are on, and I should get the serial numbers and stencils done by tomorrow.

PICS 1 and 2. The fuselage roundels, upper wing roundels and fin flashes are from the kit decals, whilst the 24 inch code letters are from an 'Xtradecals' code letters sheet. My 'phone rang, distracting me as I was applying the starboard fin flash, causing a bit of a 'kink' in the decal, which chipped the top edge of the white stripe, which will need re-touching. ( I won't repeat hear my verbal reaction to the 'phone ringing !!)
PIC 3. The under-wing roundels are again from an 'Xtradecals' sheet, and went on easier than expected, and settled much better than anticipated, considering the number of 'lumps and bumps' in this area.
PICS 4 and 5. Close-up shots of the port and starboard underside roundels, which had to settle over the scratch-built gun heating outlet ducts and the blisters for the spent cases and links deflectors. Micro-Sol was used before and during application, and allowed to do its work, although some 'tamping down' was needed to get the decals to smooth out. The port side decal cracked, as can be seen, which is not surprising, but can easily be retouched. Both decals have since settled a lot more, and, once fully set and clear coated, the empty case ejection slots will be fully trimmed, and the area re-touched as required.

With luck, I should get the remaining decals done either later tonight, or tomorrow, and perhaps even get the matt clear coat applied by tomorrow night.

Spit 72 Sqn build 183.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 184.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 179.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 175.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 177.JPG

Thanks very much chaps.
I haven't got anymore done since the last post - been laid up for a couple of days, with some sort of strange illness, but seem OK now.
I hope to get the remainder of the decals done tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back