GB-37 1/48th Spitfire M k1a - Helicopters / Military aircraft of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Michael, one of my airbrushes was already fitted with a 0.20 mm nozzle. I did have two more airbrushes (which were stolen during the burglary in December), one with a 0.25mm tip, and the other with a choice of three tips and needles (0.30, 0.25 and 0.20).
The nozzle tip should fit, but you'll also need the 0.20mm needle.
I found that the 0.25mm tip was fine for most things, and coped easily with the fine-line demarcation, and would probably be OK down to 1/72nd scale.
Even the 0.30 tip on one of the other airbrushes could give a reasonably fine line.
Whatever tip you use, practice first, as it takes some fine control of the trigger, and finding the best pressure for the paint thinner ratio being used.
If your 'brush has an adjuster on the rear end, once you've established the trigger position required, then adjust this using the adjusting knob to 'lock' the clutch stop, which will then only allow the trigger to be pulled back to the desired maximum setting.
If it doesn't have this, then no problem, just find the best trigger position - which will be minimal travel - and use that. It's always better to have too fine a line, which can be 'thickened', rather than too heavy a line.

Regarding your compressor - I'm guessing it looks similar to the one shown below. If so, then the pressure adjuster is the screw knob beneath the water trap filter, indicated by the yellow arrow.
Turn this the required direction to adjust the pressure up or down, which will be indicated on the pressure gauge.

Compressor..jpg

Got the Dark Green done, and I think it should pass for fine, but soft, demarcation lines, although I'll know more once it's fully dried.
It took a bit of time, around two hours, including a short break to let my wrist and fingers recover, due to the problem I mentioned earlier, i.e. my stiff hands lacking articulation at certain angles.
This just meant holding and turning the model at various angles, in order to cope with the curves on the fuselage and wing roots. The wings and tail-planes were easy enough, with the model on the spraying bench (for spraying bench read 'kitchen table covered with a sheet of decorator's lining paper' - good job I'm single these days !!).
The 'patchy' appearance of the green areas is due to the use of satin enamel paint, rather than matt, and this should settle a bit once fully cured, and even out completely once clear coated.
I'll let this dry for around 18 to 24 hours, before removing the masking tape, doing some light panel line work, and applying the first gloss clear coat.

Spit 72 Sqn build 146.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 147.JPG

Thanks Kirby.

Got some light panel line work done, and a little of the first stage of weathering and abrasion. Should get the first gloss clear coat on today - pics later.

Only the control surfaces, some cowling panels, and the gun access panels have been highlighted on the underside, using pencil, as the remainder are more than good enough as they are.
The wing roots have had some paint abrasion added, showing the factory primer and minimal bare metal, and some chipping has been applied around the cowling fasteners and the gun access panel fasteners. This will be toned-down with the application of the clear coats, and then some dust and grime added, along with some staining and exhaust stains etc.
Just about to apply the first gloss clear coat - back later.

Spit 72 Sqn build 163.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 150.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 152.JPG
Spit 72 Sqn build 156.JPG

Thanks Wojtek and Geo.
Got the first of the gloss coats on, although it's going to need at least another two coats to get a decent, smooth gloss finish.
This should be done by tomorrow, and with a bit of luck, I might be able to start on the decals by tomorrow night - pics when there's more to show.

Thanks Andy.
From what I've been able to deduce from wartime pics, and from seeing relics, it was similar in shade to what's used today, although perhaps lighter, being a yellowish light grey (or light greysish yellow !). I believe that this was an etch-primer, but not the same as zinc chromate.
Due to the mixed lighting and reflection in the above pics, the colour is not immediately apparent, but it's a pale, yellowish grey, with some areas having a lightly applied dull 'bare metal shade, mixed from MM 'Aluminium Plate' and matt white. Although not visible in the pics, the latter is more noticeable on the leading edges of the main wings, where dust and grit thrown up by the prop would cause chipping and abrasion.
I've tried to keep all this to a minimum, although it is rather heavy on the wing roots, as would be expected of an early production batch Spitfire by this period, with examples being seen in period photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back